Chrome Paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:02 am
Anyone have experience with the spray chrome painting systems?
Wanting to try it rather than sending everything out to a shop.
Alsa and PC Chrome seem to be the most popular but thought I would seek some advice from people that have used a chrome spray paint.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:12 pm
i'm with you, it will be interesting to see what comes up. this may not pertain to what your looking for. but I have a friend I use to work with. he had a set of old school Ansen slot mags for a jeep he had. he sent them to someone in California and when they came back they looked BETTER than chrome, I could not believe it. it was some sort of electrodeposition coating and it was perfect.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:11 pm
Well, I'm just going to throw this out there before you buy a system......
http://www.motostorm.com/Motochrome-chrome-paint.html If you lay down a really full blown reflective gloss and hit it with the Motochrome it is darn close. The keys to this stuff are good guns and brilliant black base under it. I'd say the closest I ever got with it was about 90-92% there..... but hey, it's not a "system" that you may or may not be happy with.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:26 pm
How many coats of this stuff do you apply?
It's not cheap but way less than the "system" kits.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:28 pm
badsix wrote:i'm with you, it will be interesting to see what comes up. this may not pertain to what your looking for. but I have a friend I use to work with. he had a set of old school Ansen slot mags for a jeep he had. he sent them to someone in California and when they came back they looked BETTER than chrome, I could not believe it. it was some sort of electrodeposition coating and it was perfect.
Jay D.

Maybe your friend remembers what they used or did?
I know that in today's market there has to be some good options to standard chrome application.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm
Okay, so what I did (it's been a few years, so hang on) was buy some PPG gloss black single stage urethane. I laid on a couple of coats of that. Let it harden up for 3 or 4 days and then did a cut and buff on it. Let that set for a day or so. Use prep. sol (no tack rags), made sure it was thoroughly dry. Then, I used my Astro Evo LVLP gun to start slowly fogging the chrome on. You kind of "look" into the black as you spray/achieve the chrome look. And they aren't kidding...it doesn't take much of this stuff to get the effect. I then sealed that up with their special Iso free clear (keeps the chrome look "bright") and followed up with some special effects (Prismafec and Hyperflair sold there as well) in intercoat and final PPG 2021.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:00 pm
i might know someone...
Attachments
17.jpg
15.jpg
IMG_1028.JPG
4.jpg
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:09 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
badsix wrote:i'm with you, it will be interesting to see what comes up. this may not pertain to what your looking for. but I have a friend I use to work with. he had a set of old school Ansen slot mags for a jeep he had. he sent them to someone in California and when they came back they looked BETTER than chrome, I could not believe it. it was some sort of electrodeposition coating and it was perfect.
Jay D.

Maybe your friend remembers what they used or did?
I know that in today's market there has to be some good options to standard chrome application.

i'll check him out next week
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm
PainterDave wrote:i might know someone...

I kinda remember you talking about this sometime back. :pcorn: :pcorn:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 pm
PainterDave..... so give us the skinny on that..... how much is the "system"?
Next

Return to Body and Paint