New member and a question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 pm
Chev whoops 1.jpg
Before
My name is Kyle, first time post here on the forum. I have painted aluminum airplanes before but it was from a prepped clean slate.

I just bought this 98 Silverado and wanted to remove the chrome rocker panels. I did this on my 06 Silverado without issue. Well, lets just say that there was lots of issue this time. Paint peeled with the panels!! :x To deep to turn back, so now have to fix it. Best to lightly sand where paint meets bare metal and try and use a fill primer and wet sand then shoot? I've also only done single stage. Was thinking of trying to get it most of the way prepped and taking to a professional shop. Just super bummed on my "new" ride gotta get her paint fixed without throwing thousands at it.
Attachments
Chev whoops 2.jpg
After

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:48 am
:welcome: are you wanting to paint the complete truck or just the lower area were the panels were?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:29 pm
badsix wrote::welcome: are you wanting to paint the complete truck or just the lower area were the panels were?
Jay D.

Thank you. At this point probably the whole truck minus inside the bed. Again, thinking single stage, not going for show but do want to do it right and at the right price.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:59 pm
Do you have any way to spray 2k filler primer? air compressor, d/a sander.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:09 pm
badsix wrote:Do you have any way to spray 2k filler primer? air compressor, d/a sander.
Jay D.

I could spray filler primer, have access to a shop and air and have a $80 harbor freight gun for primer and a nicer devilbiss Tekna prolite for shooting the paint.

So if I'm thinking about this right, take a sander to it and smooth out the edges where paint peeled, make sure no more peeling paint. Wipe it down, spray filler primer and then block/wet sand smooth and should be ready to go minus roughing up paint on rest of truck?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 pm
just feather the white out to the primer if you do it right it should feel smooth when you run your hand over it, no bumps. its a little more effort but you'll save it in the end when you block the filler primer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 am
badsix wrote:just feather the white out to the primer if you do it right it should feel smooth when you run your hand over it, no bumps. its a little more effort but you'll save it in the end when you block the filler primer.
Jay D.

When you say feather the white out to the primer, you're talking the primer that is already remaining on the truck correct? What are we talking for the sandpaper grit to feather it in?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:33 am
kygreen229 wrote:[quote="badsix"

So if I'm thinking about this right, take a sander to it and smooth out the edges where paint peeled, make sure no more peeling paint. Wipe it down, spray filler primer and then block/wet sand smooth and should be ready to go minus roughing up paint on rest of truck?

clean/wash thoroughly first.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:52 am
download/file.php?id=8493&t=1 I think you have a basic idea, but yes sand the white down to the oem primer. it should look similar to this. sure you could sand it and spray a couple wet coats of hi build and probably block it out ok. I just like to get as flat as I can before I spray the hi build, sounds like more work but really not when you go to block the primer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:30 pm
Thank you for your efforts helping me. I will sand down a bit what is there until a smooth transition into the existing paint where peeled. Then get it all cleaned up and plan on shooting some high build primer.

Return to Body and Paint