An unusual reaction

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:13 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
tomsteve wrote:
Joe 90 wrote:Hello all,
I've painted the wing and bumper on a Jaguar XF in 2K bc and lac.

whats lac? lacquer?

Across the pond they refer to clear coat as lacquer.

We do '68, but "clear coat" is sneaking in to the terminology slowly. It's us old codgers that still refer to it as lacquer.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:33 am
I know I read some where about not taking guesses. So I won't...I'm going to just wait and wonder? :wink: But I do have a guess?

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:16 am
noelc wrote:I know I read some where about not taking guesses. So I won't...I'm going to just wait and wonder? :wink: But I do have a guess?

Guesses are very welcome, Noel, you never know you could just hit the spot? :goodjob:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:15 am
Is it just the rain or any water that causes it?
If you spray it with a water hose will it do the same thing?
Is it only the bumper you painted or the entire car that is affected?

If it is only the bumper then I would considered a better quality clear coat be applied.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:39 pm
Joe 90 wrote:
noelc wrote:I know I read some where about not taking guesses. So I won't...I'm going to just wait and wonder? :wink: But I do have a guess?

Guesses are very welcome, Noel, you never know you could just hit the spot? :goodjob:

They say even a blind squirrel finds a random nut. Smart money however is asking a few more questions to formulate a learned response.
What products were used? Mixed or thinned? Ratio's? Amount of coats?
Where were they used? In door, out doors, heated booth or open air sprayed?

Bcause I'm a wealth of useless information, and your problem appears in wet humid conditions but disappears when exposed to dry conditions, I'm reminded hydrogen is a very small atom.

bubble wrap.jpg

I was going to post bubbles, instead I got bubble wrap? Anyways, on a microscopic level, my guess would follow along the lines something is trapped that condenses in cooler wet weather, or filters in when exposed to such conditions? It's a guess. Kind of like a pitted wind screen. Looks clear but isn't?
droplet.png
droplet.png (23.96 KiB) Viewed 3047 times

Hopefully a more knowledgeable answer is coming? Solution or correction to fix and remedy the problem? Be advised this is not my area of expertise in any way.
But if it was a weld filled with porosity, I'd be thinking like the bubble wrap, it's holding something in solution that didn't escape?
So blow a balloon up with air. Put it in the freezer and see if moisture trapped inside condenses? On a side note, that's why helium filled balloons go flat eventually. It escapes through the rubber of the balloon. I'm doubtful the problem will just go away however, but hopefully as I mentioned you get a solid answer not my random musing and guess to go by?
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
On another side note, these wankers punted me from the site after two posts... :flatten: Didn't see that coming lol!
Good luck on the paint issue Joe 90.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:08 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Is it just the rain or any water that causes it?

If it is only the bumper then I would considered a better quality clear coat be applied.

It only happens with rainwater, hose water is fine. I've discussed the possibility of acid rain with a paint technologist but he says it would permenantly stain, he's suggested stripping the wax off it and trying a different brand as he thinks the wax could have gone off and it's that reacting with the rain and not the paint - sounds plausible so i'll try it tomorrow.

In terms of a better "clear coat" I'm using PPG which is a very good quality and has never given me issues before, which sort of supports the wax theory.

I'd welcome your thoughts?

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:13 pm
noelc wrote:
Joe 90 wrote:

They say even a blind squirrel finds a random nut. Smart money however is asking a few more questions to formulate a learned response.
What products were used? Mixed or thinned? Ratio's? Amount of coats?
Where were they used? In door, out doors, heated booth or open air sprayed?

Bcause I'm a wealth of useless information, and your problem appears in wet humid conditions but disappears when exposed to dry conditions, I'm reminded hydrogen is a very small atom.

bubble wrap.jpg

I was going to post bubbles, instead I got bubble wrap? Anyways, on a microscopic level, my guess would follow along the lines something is trapped that condenses in cooler wet weather, or filters in when exposed to such conditions? It's a guess. Kind of like a pitted wind screen. Looks clear but isn't?
droplet.png

Hopefully a more knowledgeable answer is coming? Solution or correction to fix and remedy the problem? Be advised this is not my area of expertise in any way.
But if it was a weld filled with porosity, I'd be thinking like the bubble wrap, it's holding something in solution that didn't escape?
So blow a balloon up with air. Put it in the freezer and see if moisture trapped inside condenses? On a side note, that's why helium filled balloons go flat eventually. It escapes through the rubber of the balloon. I'm doubtful the problem will just go away however, but hopefully as I mentioned you get a solid answer not my random musing and guess to go by?
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/
On another side note, these wankers punted me from the site after two posts... :flatten: Didn't see that coming lol!
Good luck on the paint issue Joe 90.

Thanks Noel,

Lots there to chew on and even more for me to learn. I've copied and forwarded it to the paint technician/tecnologist for his thoughts as he thinks it's to do with poor/old wax used. I'll keep you informed. thanks again.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:06 pm
Joe 90 wrote:

It only happens with rainwater, hose water is fine. I've discussed the possibility of acid rain with a paint technologist but he says it would permenantly stain, he's suggested stripping the wax off it and trying a different brand as he thinks the wax could have gone off and it's that reacting with the rain and not the paint - sounds plausible so i'll try it tomorrow.

In terms of a better "clear coat" I'm using PPG which is a very good quality and has never given me issues before, which sort of supports the wax theory.

Ah, you didn't mention wax in your first post. That may very well explain it. I don't wax anything until it's at least 90 days old.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
Joe 90 wrote:

Ah, you didn't mention wax in your first post. That may very well explain it. I don't wax anything until it's at least 90 days old.

Ordinarily I don't wax any cars I paint but this one had a slight haze and the weather wasn't looking too promising so I thought a thin coat of wax won't harm - I've done this many times over thirty odd years of painting cars, I'm now begining to think I've found a flaw to my art.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm
Joe 90 wrote:
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
Joe 90 wrote:

Ordinarily I don't wax any cars I paint but this one had a slight haze and the weather wasn't looking too promising so I thought a thin coat of wax won't harm - I've done this many times over thirty odd years of painting cars, I'm now begining to think I've found a flaw to my art.

Wax on wax off. Solve a problem and learn Karate. I call it a win/win!
IMG_6830.JPG

What about the hole in my bread? Ha! I'm not even going to guess how to fix that problem? I did however work around it.
IMG_6832.JPG

But being a curious little monkey, I'm curious as to what reaction is happening to cause it? Rain water or elements in the rain absorbing in the wax? Is it, the wax, soluble where it absorbs moisture? Moisture entering under the surface? Or is it not really a wax per say but a chemical coating resembling a wax? You mention Joe 90 about being in the United Kingdom, acid rain, salty air, will you try again with a different wax to see if the problem still exists or just remove it?
Hopefully with it off the problem is solved. This blind squirrel is going to stick with what he know best, welding, and eating toast.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint