Need help with 2K aerosol can epoxy primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:40 am
Hello,
Just doing a small job with a bare metal grill type part & have never used epoxy before only high build urethane.

I'm using Eastwood 2pack aero spray epoxy can, and I have noticed just how thin the overall coating is. I laid down 4 decent coatings, and A few lite passes with 400grit sand paper will easily expose bare metal on edges & round areas. I intended to sand the furriness off the surface but its so easy to sand through in many places besides complete flat areas. This happens on sanding 1week+ after spray too.

Is this normal of epoxy of just the result of pressure pack cans being very thin?

Also can you apply basecoat straight over epoxy or should urethane primer first go over epoxy?

Will the slight furriness of the epoxy give the basecoat a fury texture?

thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:08 am
its the result of spray bombs being thin.
typically basecoats can go over epoxies, but read the instructions on the epoxy and basecoat.
any texture in epoxy/primer will show through basecoat.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 am
Yeah, even the best high tech. spray can, on it's best day, would only put on about 1/3 to 1/4 of the mill thickness of the same single coat from a spray gun shooting a quality epoxy.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:27 pm
:goodpost: GOOD info from all above.
400 grit is fairly aggressive for what your trying to do. I would try some 800 or so and then just lightly. 800 is going to have its own problems though the finer paper is going to want to clog up if used dry. wet is better but then it needs to be washed and dried. I wouldn't trust a shaker can to go over it wet on wet so to speak like you can real epoxy.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint