rust prevention between double wall

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 am
what would be the best way to treat the area between double walled metal panels? the car is over 60 years old and I feel these ares are probably getting some surface rust in them. there is access to the areas I want to treat but not enough for a spray gun.

The fenders on the car are single walled and I would like to find a product to coat the inside with that would help protect against rocks and what not. Anyone have recommendations for the fender wells?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:29 pm
if your talking pinch welds what I've done is to mix up epoxy and reduce it enough so that you can brush it over the seam and let it soak down into it, I think its the best you can do. I've seen jobs were people have taken seam sealer to all the pinch welds with the hopes to keep water out. but what really happens is they still get moisture and its better to leave it open so the water can get out and the seam can dry. it really doesn't need to be epoxy, could be almost anything ,a 2 part primer or single stage primer or sealer. for the fenders coat with a couple coats of epoxy then spray with 3M undercoat. you can also use the Raptor liner and brush or roll it on, SEE discussion about using it on this forum, Raptor Liner
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 am
not pinch welds more outer and inner walls of the car. I looked at 3M cavity wax but I have never used this product.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:01 am
Assuming you have removed the rust, the reduced epoxy method works very well. You can put it on with a small paint brush or even a rag if necessary.

Ospho can be used to treat the rust in those areas as well. You treat the areas until they begin to turn black, then wet them one more time and wash it off before it dries with soap and water. Rinse well, blow dry with air and let it set to fully dry. Then you can prep and apply the epoxy.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 pm
:goodpost: sorry I didn't quite understand what we were talking about, and yes the cavity wax works well. check before you buy as some kits come with all the necessary tubes and some come without.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint