Critique my process

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:14 pm
If you are talking about moving up to a Q series as in a 5 stage unit, well, there is some improvement in flow-out but I don't think it is enough to justify the extra cost. I think you would find you can get the same results with just tweeking by adding minor amounts of reducers instead. Now, saying that if you are limited to using your turbine gun for primer work without access to compressed air, then yes, a 5 stage can better handle primers. The 5 stage with that newer gun should handle just about any coating.
On your list there, I'd only comment that you seem like your still priming a lot.....
Spraying base at only 2 coats (especially with a turbine) should read more like "spray until hiding is achieved." Different colors/brands get different results (coats).
And finally, 2 coats of clear? Are you cutting and buffing that clear? You said PPG products however there is a big difference in something like a 2021 clear and the clear in the Shopline series. Check all of the product sheets on everything you intend to buy, FIRST.......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:52 am
If a 5-stage is better adept at painting with everything I'll need then I'm happy to go with a little more expensive unit. Cost-wise I'm still coming out way ahead of having any of my local shops do it (quotes were unbelievably expensive). So far I've found most expensive tools are worth the extra cost.

Ditto for materials. I'd rather spend a little more for the good stuff and save on the backend in sanding, labor, and other materials.

I think a trip to the local paint shop is in order to see what they recommend. As a newbie to this I tend to lean on the experts. But the only way to get experience is to actually try it.

Can I get by removing step 7? Effectively 2 coats epoxy, 2 coats high build primer, 1 coat sealer, then base coat to cover and 1 coat of clear?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:31 pm
cc_mustang wrote: then base coat to cover and 1 coat of clear?

youre gonna want more than one coat of clear as youre probably going to have to cut and buff.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:22 pm
Yeah, check the product sheet on your clear, but usually a cut and buff would be at least 3 coats of clear, figuring you are sanding off at least one coat...... I'd be interested to see what the paint jobber says on your schedule........
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm
Thanks everyone for the help and guidance. I'm seriously considering the Fuji Q5 as it would be my only source of compressed air for painting. If a little extra horsepower will result in a better finish I'm all for it.

I do think this limits my ability to use Slick Sand, but that's OK. The stuff sounds tricky to work with and it seems like an extra coat of a medium build primer would get the job done (if needed)

More coats of clear is a smart choice, especially given the hard duty driving it's likely to see. Good to have some extra room for future cuts and buffs as well.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 pm
looks doable to me. after you sand with the 400 I like to guide coat again then go to your 600-800. this just let you know that your getting all the 400 profile sanded out. if you still insist on using the sealer coat here's another option, just spray your sealer over the 400 for what your looking for that would work fine. if you don't seal then I would probably go to the 600 for a better finish.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:46 pm
cc_mustang wrote:.........I'm seriously considering the Fuji Q5 as it would be my only source of compressed air for painting........

I took DarrelK's advice a while back and bought a Fuji 4-stage. Even an occasional painter can put down a smooth paint job with one of these turbines. As mentioned, the biggest drawback to a turbine is the heat they generate. Biggest advantage is the lack of blowback, so very little overspray to deal with. Turbines are very sensitive to viscosity, so use the viscosity cup that comes with the Fuji. I've found that most paints require 5-10% more reduction than normal, because of the heated air. The Q5 should do a good job.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Non-Lurker

Mexico
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:40 pm
Hi all,

I'm new around here and just want to say thanks for this post and all the answers, was about to ask a very similar question not related to the process, but the turbine (the minimite 5 actually) because I don't have much room for a big compressor.

Anyone have painted a full car with a turbine system? I haven't found lot of information about it only "yes, you can" not much of "yes, take a look at this" or anything about the final result and how it looks.

:clap:
Previous

Return to Body and Paint