Here is the plan

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:51 pm
Hi guys, Please feel free to comment on or question anything.
The 240Z is almost ready for primer, most of the car is down to bare metal except on the bottom where I have sanded the original epoxy primmer. I still have to build the plastic sheet booth in my garage and find an infrared heater I can move around the shop. Kind of cool at the moment but should be able to get the heat up to 65*F.
I'll be using a DeVilbiss FLG-5 with a 1.4 and 1.8 tips
I think I'll be using ********** products,
********** 2k epoxy primer, 2-3 Evercoat fillers, ********** high build primer.
Not sure yet if I'll use single stage paint or base/clear yet but I still have lots of time to decide.
I have hammer and dollied most of the dents out but there will be some areas that need filler.
I will probably spent the summer filling and sanding and shoot paint in the fall when the humidity is gone, will there be a problem with the filler soaking up moisture from the humidity and causing trouble with the paint in the Fall?
I have built an air dryer using an AC condenser/blower fan between the air pump and tank and have also constructed a fresh air supply system using a green house fan, hose and a fire fighters breathing mask, so far the testing seems like they are both going to work well.
Can anyone see any glaring problems with is plan?
Thanks,
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 pm
HERES THE ANSWER, if your storing it in a shop and its dry the bondo should be no problem. if the shop sweats a lot then that may be a problem. I would try and cover it with a couple bed sheets, no plastic. if you put your bondo on before the epoxy goes out of its sensitive state that's good. if you run past then you'll need to scratch it up a little. use 180 on a D/A or by hand, 80 grit works good as long as you don't sand your epoxy off. main thing is to get it clean and get the epoxy on I think the ******** and the ********* should work fine .
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 am
Thanks Jay,
I will be applying the epoxy first to bare metal then filler on top.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:19 pm
If you are not experienced in painting with Single Stage I would recommend going with base coat/clear coat.

Doing it in two steps gives you the opportunity to fix problems that show up while spraying.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:38 pm
Well I got two coats of epoxy primer down, I can now see why some guys have dedicated paint guns, it took me hours to clean the epoxy out of the gun. After the first coat I immediately disassembled the gun and dropped all the parts in a container of thinners and left them for a few minutes to soak. The epoxy primer is really sticky stuff. Maybe there is some special thinners just for epoxy?
I couldn't afford to go with the ****** so p/u a gallon of BESA Urki instead, seems like good stuff.
IMG_1490 (1024x768).jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:46 pm
lacquer should cut it easy also MEK works good.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:11 am
Thanks Jay D., MEK is the cats arse. No problems cleaning up now.
So I have at least 2 coats of 2k epoxy primer on all the surfaces now and am glad to have all that bare metal sealed, I have started the filling with Evercoat rage ultra, nice stuff to work with.
Question, I have been watching a bunch of auto finishing videos on youtube and some of the guys spray a panel down that they are almost most finished to get a quick wet shine so they can see any waves they have missed, what is in that spray bottle?

It looks like a household spray bottle from the hardware store, no labels, so they must be filling it from a larger container. Spirits of some kind, Methyl Hydrate alcohol?
Thanks
IMG_1529 (1024x768).jpg

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:20 am
I used to use Evercoat and I moved to 3M Marson Platinum Body Filler, creamier and sands awesome. As for the spray to gloss things up before paint, I do this all the time and its typically wax and grease remover (solvent based) in a pump bottle.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:00 am
RestoRick wrote:I used to use Evercoat and I moved to 3M Marson Platinum Body Filler, creamier and sands awesome. As for the spray to gloss things up before paint, I do this all the time and its typically wax and grease remover (solvent based) in a pump bottle.

:goodpost: :goodpost:
I use the same filler and have even before 3M bought them out. I also use the solvent based W&G remover to check progress when necessary.

Using a guide coat is the best insurance against missing something in the filler and 2k build primer stages of your prep. There are Sticky Posts covering this and other preparation techniques at the top of this forum.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:33 pm
I think I said something in the first post about about taking all summer to get the car ready for paint in the fall, well I have been going at it full tilt and all the filling is done down to 180, one full coat of epoxy primer this morning and one full coat of high build Urethane primer this afternoon. I think I'll be laying down paint in the next couple weeks!

I have enough H/B Urethane primer left to do one more full coat on everything,
Question, Should I just put the last coat on tomorrow morning without sanding?
Scuff it up and shoot the last coat or sand everything down to 600 before spraying the last of the primer?
Thanks,
Chris
Next

Return to Body and Paint