Where do you buy paint?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:56 pm
I'm painting the hood bumper on my Miata. This is my first auto painting project. I was wondering what the best place to buy paint is. I once went to a paint store for lacquer to refinish a piece of furniture.The clerk told me I couldn't buy it because I didn't have a contractors license. If I go to another body store, are they going to ask for something similar that prevents me from making a purchase? I'm in California so I figure the rules are kind of tight.

My second question is on color matching. I've considered ordering paint online based only on the color code, but worry that the match will be poor. Is this something I should avoid?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 pm
Take the car or a fairly large piece with the color you want on it to a local automotive paint store and have them match the paint. Pretty much guarantee your paint code purchase will not match due to sun fade.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 am
Don't know about California but I am a beginner/amateur in Texas. I just walk into the auto paint store and tell them what I want to do. They have always been super helpful. Expect sticker shock, especially if it is red. Another option is Tamco, they ship, although I don't know if California has special restrictions.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:00 pm
My experience has also been that smaller specialty shops do better than big box places with things like matching. The local NAPA here can mix any code but when Ii asked about matching the car not the code they were at a loss. A little out-of -the-way place was better able to help with that.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:32 am
I agree with using a independent body shop supplier for paint match, the one near me has a gun/scanner to help them get correct formula. Although last time I brought them something to match they couldn't get the gun to work? As a hobbyist I feel like I get price gouged though.
I do have to say I've also had pretty good luck with paint match results using Automotivetouchup.com prices are also very reasonable. I've sprayed a few bumpers
with their better 2k paint/clear and have been happy with the results, all depends what your looking for I guess.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:14 am
i'm an amateur and recommend your local autobody jobber. I use a couple in my area and the service is great, they always go out of there way to give me good service. they let me try new products free and make recommendations to help me. I have an account with them and that gives me a little discount the sales rep has offered to come out to my shop to help with and problems I might have. I don't mind paying a little more for better quality and support something you won't get on line.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:56 pm
badsix wrote:i'm an amateur and recommend your local autobody jobber. I use a couple in my area and the service is great, they always go out of there way to give me good service. they let me try new products free and make recommendations to help me. I have an account with them and that gives me a little discount the sales rep has offered to come out to my shop to help with and problems I might have. I don't mind paying a little more for better quality and support something you won't get on line.
Jay D.

I am more of an amateur than Jay D and totally agree on trying to find a good jobber local to you. IF you can find one. They certainly vary by shop as it really has to do with the personalities of the shop personnel and the shop owner.

I had a great local in town (only one in my little town) jobber, but the shop got bought out by a nationwide chain and they s...canned the two guys that worked the desk there. One had been there forever, and the other had been there longer.

Anyways, I do have a good jobber in a town that is south of my shop by about 20 minutes and my shop is about 45 minutes from where I live, so I cant just "run down" there at any time, but they sure do come through if I need something custom mixed.

Like I said, I am a total amateur rookie weekender hack, but I do purchase through a combination of my jobber and online - I live in California and have had good luck with Tamco products among others, but definitely need and use my (now kinda) local jobber.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Return to Body and Paint