TAMCO 5311 Primer Q's

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:44 pm
I'm leaning heavily towards buying some Tamco primer off the site and found what I think is a contradiction to me. If I learned anything so far its to read the tech sheets. The product details here say "...with a non-sanding recoat window of 7 days..." and "7 day recoat window." But the tech sheet here says "Do not apply more primer after 1 hour from completion. :shocked: " What gives please.

It is stressed how thick it is and should be reduced, so since i don't have a 1.8 or 2.0 large tip (giggity) should I opt to get a 2.0 tip? It mentions the 1.8 and reducer as an option. How about a 2.0 and a smaller amount of reducer. Which would be most advantageous to an amateur?

Im going to use a dark green color, should I use the black 5311 and take the rust benefits as a bonus?

What are the practical benefits of reducing it and applying a final coat as a sealer? Is this a "best practice?"

Thanks all.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:42 pm
So after 8 mos i got around to answering myself with a call to TAMCO. The nice fella I spoke with thinks maybe something got transposed with the epoxy :rolleyes:
https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint ... -full-kit/ has written "...with a non-sanding recoat window of 7 days that important restoration job you are working on will not suffer." IS WRONG. There is no re-coat outside of 1 hour without sanding. If I recall correctly he said going to 3 hours before sanding would be best.

A few words from a newb about the 5311, I know nuttin' but really like this stuff. Im not really going over any rust but wanted a black and will take the anti-rust as insurance. Sands like butta and with the black there is no need to use a guide-coat. It dries fairly dark and as its blocked it revels a lighter shade that shows any lows accurately as well as guides you where you've already sanded or not.
Again, i have no experience to compare it to but for the price, how well this beginner was able to spray it and what it promises I don't think it could be beat.

Return to Body and Paint