TAMCO 5311 Primer Q's

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:44 pm
I'm leaning heavily towards buying some Tamco primer off the site and found what I think is a contradiction to me. If I learned anything so far its to read the tech sheets. The product details here say "...with a non-sanding recoat window of 7 days..." and "7 day recoat window." But the tech sheet here says "Do not apply more primer after 1 hour from completion. :shocked: " What gives please.

It is stressed how thick it is and should be reduced, so since i don't have a 1.8 or 2.0 large tip (giggity) should I opt to get a 2.0 tip? It mentions the 1.8 and reducer as an option. How about a 2.0 and a smaller amount of reducer. Which would be most advantageous to an amateur?

Im going to use a dark green color, should I use the black 5311 and take the rust benefits as a bonus?

What are the practical benefits of reducing it and applying a final coat as a sealer? Is this a "best practice?"

Thanks all.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:42 pm
So after 8 mos i got around to answering myself with a call to TAMCO. The nice fella I spoke with thinks maybe something got transposed with the epoxy :rolleyes:
https://www.autobody101.com/store/paint ... -full-kit/ has written "...with a non-sanding recoat window of 7 days that important restoration job you are working on will not suffer." IS WRONG. There is no re-coat outside of 1 hour without sanding. If I recall correctly he said going to 3 hours before sanding would be best.

A few words from a newb about the 5311, I know nuttin' but really like this stuff. Im not really going over any rust but wanted a black and will take the anti-rust as insurance. Sands like butta and with the black there is no need to use a guide-coat. It dries fairly dark and as its blocked it revels a lighter shade that shows any lows accurately as well as guides you where you've already sanded or not.
Again, i have no experience to compare it to but for the price, how well this beginner was able to spray it and what it promises I don't think it could be beat.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:07 am
Yeah, their 66x epoxies have the crazy long open time.

I am a weekender rookie hack and learned the hard way on my trunk thinking I was going to top coat the same day like I do with the PPG epoxies.

I sent Tammy a text on a Saturday and she called me back and explained that I needed to wait 24 hours min. Awesome service!

I now use a lot of their products and am quite happy with them.

I agree, their 53xx primers sand like butter.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:38 am
Good catch. It should say "non-sanding topcoat window" up to seven days. In fact I've had guys doing airbrush/artwork on this primer for even longer without sanding the primer before painting.

Since even the seven days depends on environment (i.e. leave the car out in direct sun...it'll be shorter), later I'll just remove that text to avoid any future confusion.

Thanks!

Return to Body and Paint