Low VOC Pros and Cons

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:34 pm
As a novice I'm wondering why not buy the low VOC products? I see the option for many primer/sealers/surfacers and paints to use a different catalyst to be LVOC compliant and since I have thus far only sprayed various Rustoleum products with mixed results why wouldn't I use the alternative products? I'm in Tx where almost anything goes so thats not a concern.

When I read the various tips and tricks is there that much difference?
For those that may have mastered the old ways maybe you could point out how the low VOC products might differ.

I assume before so much product liability and safety concerns the best system was just that, the best, without other concerns. So what might I be giving up using the newer alternatives? Since I'm still learning why not learn to use them?
Thanks. :worthy:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:28 pm
when low VOC paints started coming out they was harder to spray due to thier lack of solvent or crappy solvent, now not much different to spray, mainly to satisfy different states laws. low VOC will still be harmful so wear your safety gear
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:23 pm
Definitely not an expert here, but last summer the only paint that I could get a match for my trunk lid was in PPG's Envirobase which is a waterbourne product. I live in California which is pretty much all low VOCs.

I had to adjust my spraying a little, had to pull the gun a little farther away from the surface to eliminate the tiger striping (again probably due to me being a rookie and not having anyone to ask other than this forum) but once I got the hang of it, I loved the way it sprayed. It was hot and with low humidity the flash times were like 2 minutes.

I would love to spray that stuff all the time, but it is pricey $$$$ for me to screw around with.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 am
PainterDave wrote:when low VOC paints started coming out they was harder to spray due to thier lack of solvent or crappy solvent, now not much different to spray, mainly to satisfy different states laws. low VOC will still be harmful so wear your safety gear

:goodpost:

Low VOC is one of those environmental things that probably does little more than make some people feel good. Like Dave said, they are still very dangerous to spray so wear your gear and have good ventilation.

Recently I started using Automotive Art's Motobase LV (https://www.automotiveartpaints.com/Products/#/) mainly due to it being reasonably priced, color availability and a supplier (http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... -and-audio) that delivers it to my front door.

Going from standard base coat to this Low Voc base coat really didn't require any changes in gun settings or spray technique. This is the only Low Voc product that I use so not sure about other brands.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:29 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
PainterDave wrote:when low VOC paints started coming out they was harder to spray due to thier lack of solvent or crappy solvent, now not much different to spray, mainly to satisfy different states laws. low VOC will still be harmful so wear your safety gear

Low VOC is one of those environmental things that probably does little more than make some people feel good. Like Dave said, they are still very dangerous to spray so wear your gear and have good ventilation.

Recently I started using Automotive Art's Motobase LV (https://www.automotiveartpaints.com/Products/#/) mainly due to it being reasonably priced, color availability and a supplier (http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... -and-audio) that delivers it to my front door.

Going from standard base coat to this Low Voc base coat really didn't require any changes in gun settings or spray technique. This is the only Low Voc product that I use so not sure about other brands.

:goodpost: as well sir
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint