tamco 2k paints

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 pm
Ok so i recently purchased some tamco clear online and was told by the seller that the activator is mostly only good for a week maybe two. So my question is, if you plan to spray other parts in the future, and if this is true, what would you do for the activator? Always buy a pint or so each time? Or would it be ok to use for weeks or maybe even months in the future? My local paint store said activator should last a while unless you look at it and it looks all discolored then probably wouldnt want to use it. Any thoughts ideas? I would hate to have to purchase activator each time i want to clear something. mahalos in advance!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 pm
Don't know why they told you that.
Activator should be kept sealed, meaning pour out what you need and put the cap back on. It will last a long time.

Generally what you look for is seeds or crystallized material and if there is none you are good to go.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:43 pm
Don't leave it open any long than needed. wipe the threaded part off with a rag and some reducer and in the cap if the treads are wet with cat. this lets you remove the cap later without a lot of cuss words.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 am
Some people will displace the air inside the activator can when
they know the remaining may sit awhile.
You can add marbles to the can to do that or buy a product
sold to woodworkers called "bloxygen" , an inert gas in a can you
can spray in before closing the lid.
Keeping the air out will make it last.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:49 pm
Mahalos for the advice guys! I found it hard to believe you cant keep using the activator but i think it came from the guy that makes the product or works for them so i really did not want to question that. I will cap it soon after i use it.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:34 pm
ok so i sprayed tamco epoxy sealer and it did flow out really nice but unfortunately i had major orange peel as i was using a new gun and had no idea what psi i should spray at let alone i was spraying at night. took a while to sand it flat. but have to say with my limited experience their epoxy was quite nice!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:36 pm
Hopefully you didn't use a large tip. 1.4 is plenty for epoxy primer straight or reduced.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:48 pm
used 1.4 tip but i did not know what pressure to spray at so i sprayed at 25psi and got quite a bit of orange peel. i had a roach land on the hood so i kept spraying air to get it off and the bastard left a trail. i kept dusting it and it covered up quite nicely.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:06 am
For the record...the seller wasn't me ;-) At least I hope it wasn't - I would never tell someone that an activator is only good for two weeks.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:05 am
i think it was someone from their company but unsure as the site i bought it from only sells tamco which i dont know if i am allowed to say here. but its ok just wanted to clarify.

Return to Body and Paint