clear not covering flakes

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:13 pm
ok so im spraying clear after shooting some flakes. spraying tamco 2100. am about to shoot my 3rd coat and directions say only 3 coats per session. it does not seem like i can cover the flakes. so what should i do? any ideas? besides, i can only do one more coat since i ran out of clear. was trying to lay in on heavy and even got some runs but it doesnt seem to cover the flakes. kind of frustrating not sure what to do. any ideas/help is appreciated. mahalos!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 am
more info, pictures, size of flake, what kind of flake, and what you put the on with.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:04 am
will take pics soon.
deltron jade green base
green holographic micro sequence flake sprayed with 1.4 tip flake mixed into base and sprayed 3 coats
tamco 2100 clear sprayed 3 coats used approx 26 oz but probably a lot lost due to overspray although i was spray approx 5 inches from panel on first coat, 3-4 inches on next 2 coats trying to lay it on heavy but after third coat flakes not covered

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:25 am
Sounds like some pretty thin clear, are you reducing the clear a lot?
Usually I can burry flakes in 4 coats, but that depends on the size of the flakes I guess.
I'm sure you would be fine to do a couple more coats than suggested as long as
you gave a longer flash time between them.
4 to 5 coats is not that bad. You'll be fine.
It may just take a little longer to harden up real good before buffing.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:46 am
this may not pertain to what your doing, but I use to wipe over my flakes to remove any that didn't attach or lay down good. then several coats of clear depending on the material . then I would lightly sand carefully you don't want to get carried away and sand into the flakes. now our ready for more clear coats. it may take 2-3 times depending on the size of your flake. this is an old school way so like I said it probably won't pertain to you. with todays urethane clears you should be able to get 4-5 coat easy. then lightly sand then 2-3 clear and sand again if necessary. then a couple more coats and sand and buff if necessary .
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:11 pm
the tech sheet said max 3 coats so wasnt sure what to do. i think one or 2 more will cover i can slightly feel the flakes. i will probably wait a while, sand and put 2 more coats on but i pretty much used up the quart i bought so will have to get another one. i thought i could cover in 3 but guess not. trying to upload pics but keep saying file is invaled not sure why when its a jpg from my phone which worked before.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 am
i did my motorcycle tins similar-black base then blue flake in 2 coats of clear. 3 coats of clear, sand, then 2 more were necessary to bury the flake and get a flat surface.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:15 am
proper flake jobs are tough to do.

i can share my process with you hope it helps,

if doing a complete flake job i usually mix in clear, not basecoat.

basecoat if doing graphics only, (DBC) or equivalent.

spray flake till covered, let flash, DO NOT WIPE OR TACK,

3- 5 coats of clear, let dry a day or 2, ( i bake but assume you cant ?)

sand 500, re clear, might need to sand and reclear again
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:37 pm
well i thought about using an intercoat but thought micro flakes would be covered by 3 coats of clear but i was wrong. i can slightly feel the flake in some areas. so i will sand and spray more clear.

question is, what is the window/maximum amount of time after i sand the clear to respray clear? a week?

mahalos for all your advice.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am
bolts wrote:well i thought about using an intercoat but thought micro flakes would be covered by 3 coats of clear but i was wrong. i can slightly feel the flake in some areas. so i will sand and spray more clear.

question is, what is the window/maximum amount of time after i sand the clear to respray clear? a week?

mahalos for all your advice.

clear will not heal as some primers do, but its always a good idea to clear as soon as you can. a week would be fine i think
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Next

Return to Body and Paint