Painting wood

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:05 pm
I'm in the process of restoring a fire truck. I've found some good advice here. I'm also a woodworker and just don't paint wood. The problem I am having trouble finding info on is there's some wood covered by sheet metal as well as some that is exposed ( where the front fenders mount to the frame is a 3/4" piece). I'm planning on using expoxy primer on the sheet metal to seal it. The question is what do I use on the wood that is exposed? Thanks in advance

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:35 pm
So.....just so I understand this.... Are you needing a clear coat recommendation for the wood or are you wanting to prime it and paint it? If you simply need to paint it, epoxy will seal it fine. You just need to reduce the epoxy somewhat so the first coat "soaks" down in the wood. Next would be a full wet coat or two built more up on the wood, and then going into your paint system. We have done just that on exterior wooden items that were of historical significance. With us, our part of projects like that are usually the stripping/removal, then on to epoxy paints (even straight resins as well) and finally the projects were handed off to the decorative arts guys for final hand painting and/or airbrushing. If you did want a "heavier" resin type epoxy sealer I would recommend West Systems epoxy at full strength. Just remember, if you use an epoxy paint or resin it must be completely painted as epoxy does not handle sunlight exposure well over time.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:00 am
I was talking about the exposed wood. So just thin the primer on the wood and then treat like the metal. Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:53 am
Yep, reduce the first coat and stay within the epoxy "time window" for applying anymore epoxy.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:52 pm
i usually Poly wood
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Body and Paint