New hood and fender

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:38 am
I hit a deer last month on my way to work(BIG Buck) and screwed up my work car a little bit. Hood, fender, and headlight all needed replacing. It’s an 2002 Cavalier btw. Although it’s not a Cadillac, it’s still been a **** good car that I wanna keep until it can’t run no more. So, I ordered the parts, and when they arrived, the fender and hood were black. I kind of wanna make sure that black isn’t their primer. I don’t believe it is but wanna make sure. So assuming it’s not, where do I go from here.
Can I just clean it well and prime & paint it?
Or do I need to scuff it up with a Brillo or sand them?
My first paint job I didn’t use an epoxy primer, so I don’t know much about it. I used a primer filler I believe it was.
Any advice or steps that y’all might recommend would sure help a lot

Kenny
I’m just a squirrel, trying to get a nut

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:17 pm
Have a read of my post here.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:33 am
no advise on it but a comment on the cavalier:
cavaliers dont die. their owners kill em. :neutral:
i cant believe how many ive seen with 300,000+ miles with no major engine or trans work.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:38 am
Perfectamundo !! Thanks guys!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:35 pm
Omg I was just reading that thread you suggested and I’m just blown away at(yet not surprised) at the some of the suggestions people are giving! Mainly the ones that have joined this forum just a few days, then want to tell someone how to do something step by step. Ridiculous! I’m going with my friend down under who’s been here since 2012 or so. Who might actually know what the heck he’s talking about. Thanks Cris! Your suggestions sound perfect!

As far as the rubbing alcohol, I ask my wife who’s in the medical field, why we call it rubbing alcohol, and she said they used to, and some still do, rub it into muscles to help with pain relief. Old wives tale maybe? Who knows? I use it for cleaning. LOL

Return to Body and Paint