Painting virgin. Should I shoot pearl/metallic

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:45 am
Hello all, I'm in the guidecoat stage of my project and I had planned a deep blue metallic paint. Reading/watching and I'm unsure if this is a good idea. I grabbed a pint of blue solid to shoot a panel with bc/cc to see how it looked and it came out just fine. I'd really prefer a pearl or metallic but not sure if being a first timer I'm going to end up with striping. I can buy a pint and shoot a 4'x4' piece of 20ga sheet to test but I know that's not the same as a whole car. Thoughts? Thanks, 1

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:14 pm
Try it your never going to learn any other way. base coat is real quite easy to spray on get you gun setup right and go for it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:43 pm
Gun set up is critical and make sure you write down the settings once you get them right.

Next you want to keep the gun perpendicular to the surface. Most striping occurs when reaching too far and tipping the gun so one side of the spray pattern is heavier than the other (which ends in dry spray).

Keep the gun a consistent distance from the panel, travel at the same speed and keep your overlap a minimum of 50%.

Also, use a decent quality paint. It does make a difference.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:38 pm
Well, I think I'll give it a shot. I'll grab a half pint of the color I want to try and shoot a half sheet of 20ga. Besides air pressure, paint volume, gun distance, gun angle and hand speed, oh, and overlap. Is there a different technique other than just horizontal passes as best I can manage? I've read differing opinions on a drop coat? Thanks, 1

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 pm
Almost forgot. '68, my local jobber has me using Omni so far for primers. They mix PPG lines and HOK lines. I'm open to suggestions on paint brands/lines.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:41 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Gun set up is critical and make sure you write down the settings once you get them right.

Next you want to keep the gun perpendicular to the surface. Most striping occurs when reaching too far and tipping the gun so one side of the spray pattern is heavier than the other (which ends in dry spray).

Keep the gun a consistent distance from the panel, travel at the same speed and keep your overlap a minimum of 50%.

Also, use a decent quality paint. It does make a difference.

:goodpost: And to add apply with MED. coats not wet coats like would be done with urethans or enamels. omni I have never used but it seams to be a problem with several PPG is good quality but you pay for it as said above it does make a difference.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Here is a shot of what your first coat should look like, note he's not trying for full coverage on the first coat.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Thanks Jay, should I be seeing a photo or a link? I see a link but it doesn't do anything when I click. I'm not exactly an IT kind of guy either. Thanks, 1

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:16 am
1dumbquestion wrote:Almost forgot. '68, my local jobber has me using Omni so far for primers. They mix PPG lines and HOK lines. I'm open to suggestions on paint brands/lines.

I used Omni one time and will never waste my money on it again.
Right now I am using Automotive Art Motobase LV (https://www.automotiveartpaints.com/) and it is a quality paint at reasonable prices.

All of the big name lines also sell their economy or shopline versions. You have to ask yourself why they can sell them so much cheaper than their premium paint? It's because it isn't the same thing in a different package.

I order all of my paint online, primers, clears and color.
The motobase lv I get from here: http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... -and-audio they sell it by the quart and it mixes 1:1 with reducer. If you order a few quarts the shipping is free, if I remember correctly.
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:24 am
What color are you wanting?
Find a car that looks like what you want and get the paint code for that color.
1968 Coronet R/T

Next

Return to Body and Paint