Tamco review

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:19 pm
I recently used Tamco base and clear on a project and thought I would do a quick review---The base was a pearl color and I was a little worried about striping and blotchiness---The base went on nice with no issues.--pretty much covered in two coats ( I used a third coat to make sure coverage was good and blend into the other panels. It seemed to perform quite a bit better than what I remember the budget bases from the big paint companies performing. For clear I used their 7600--It didn't really impress me as much. Could be I need more time to learn how it wants to be sprayed but I have gotten slicker results with other products before. It wet sanded and buffed pretty well, so in the end it turned out pretty nice. I will be using more of their products in the future.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:39 am
So this is just curiosity talking.....that's a "production" medium solids clear. I haven't shot it yet myself..... Any particular reason you went with that clear? Honestly I've never did hand springs over anybody's medium solids clears in the past. It always seems like I have to "dumb down" either my gun or spraying technique to get good results. As you mentioned, the cut and buff usually goes okay...... Next time consider hitting the Universal or Euro. I liked the Universal for doing some collision/panel work and am using the Euro as I straighten out the tiger striping from an old shoot on my current cruiser.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 am
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Euro Clear is one of my favorites. I have also used the High Gloss clear and got great results.

Price is great and nearly the same on all of them so why not opt for the higher solids?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:18 pm
7600 was supposed to be the same as their 4100 glamour clear but in a faster version. Since I was only doing a few panels on a fairly small vehicle I thought it made more sense than an overall clear. I didn't hate it but I wasn't really thrilled by it either. I have some material left over so maybe I will play around with it and see if I can get better results-- It gets a lot of positive feedback on the Tamco Facebook page, maybe I just need to get the hang of it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:55 pm
Yeah, I get your logic on that....I've just got used to the language in a product when I see "faster" I think out of dust faster but trading off thickness/flow-out. You probably can tweek it some more. Might want to play around with temp. range/reducer possibly..... and of course, gun settings.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint