Paint for Newbie

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm
I've got a good 2 stage compressor and a few HVLP guns. Haven't sprayed anything other than a few rear ends and transmission etc. I have an older first gen S10 that I want to paint and if that comes out good I may paint my project vehicle...98 S10 step side short bed / L33. I have a separate two car garage so I can paint inside. My question is this, which type of paint is easiest for a newbie to apply and repair if scratched. not looking for the toughest or the most glamorous. I want a single color, maybe dark charcoal with a fine flake. I would like to use the same type if not the same color on the first gen as it will be for learning purposes. Any helpful input will be greatly appreciated.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:24 pm
Base coat/clear coat is the easiest for a newbie in my opinion. You shoot the base and make sure everything looks the way you want it BEFORE applying the clear coat. This gives you a chance to fix things you may have missed.

You want to get a good quality paint line if shooting metallic colors. I don't mean top of the line but rather a reasonably priced base coat like Motobase LV from Automotive Art. There are others as well but that is what I have been using lately and I like it.

Some base coats mix 2:1 which means you get 6 qts of ready to spray (RTS) paint instead of 8 qts with base that mixes 1:1.

There are some very good sticky posts at the top of this forum for prepping the car, using guide coat when block sanding, sandpaper selection, etc.

Being consistent in your gun set up and application is the key to success.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:39 am
ezrollin wrote:My question is this, which type of paint is easiest for a newbie to apply and repair if scratched. not looking for the toughest or the most glamorous. I want a single color, maybe dark charcoal with a fine flake.\

a single stage metallic wouldnt be a good choice for what ya want. color/wet sanding SS metallics isnt wise. end up sanding on the flakes. SS metallics they arent the easiest to repair either.
definately what coronet said but if ya want to spray a metallic base, you'll want a quality gun that atomizes good and has a good fan pattern- the paint lays even across the fan.
it would be wise to head to the boneyard and get an old hood,then to yer local jobber and see if they have some mismatched metallics of any color at a discount, and practice.

and read them stickies at the top of the forum.

Return to Body and Paint