Way forward over Rage Gold-Metal Glaze

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:57 pm
I finished up bodywork with Rage Gold and Metal Glaze with 80 grit. Large areas of filler, like whole door/quarter panel due to original metal wavieness...

I have some ********** epoxy primer which I'd like to use. Why I left at 80 grit.

I am planning on doing PPG Delton Single Stage Urethane with hardener.

Contemplating what primer to shoot next?

Was thinking of using ********** epoxy primer, then a primer -surfacer

Should I use a high build primer like PPG K38 then use K36?? before top coat. OR????

Worried about sand scratches showing up later....

Also should I use a sealer before top coat??

Would like thoughts on way forward.

Thanks

Fred

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:22 pm
You can shoot a single coat of epoxy primer then wait at least an hour before applying 3 coats of 2k build primer and let that cure at least over night.

Apply some guide coat (see sticky post) and block sand with a coarse grit, no more than 150. Don't press hard on the block when the paper starts getting dull. Change the paper often as this will get your panels nice and straight.
Sand until the guide coat is gone or you start hitting high spots. Fix problem areas if necessary.

Once done shoot a couple more coats of 2k, guide coat and block sand with around 220 grit just until guide coat is removed. Hopefully you won't break through this time.

At this point i like to shoot a reduced coat of 2k, guide coat and wet sand with 320 just until guide coat is gone. Should be looking real nice at this point.

You can then shoot a sealer coat if you choose or wet sand again with 600 to prep for paint.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint