Painting pinstripes back on

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:22 am
I'm blending my damaged pearl white fender lately. Just received my HD pinstripe touch up brush bottles. I painted over the existing ones with the white. Went to replace the stripes yesterday to prepare for clear, and was suspicious of masking tape, so I went with packaging tape. Perfect sharp edge results. However, just a pain in the butt, especially since there is about 1/8" between them. Cant think of a way to cut a strip perfectly enough to go between the 2 stripes so I can work them simultaneously. Any ideas, or is 1 by 1 the only way?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:18 am
From reading your other posts, I fear you are not going to be happy with the results of using 1k products.

Motorcycles and especially the fuel tanks take a lot of abuse. Quality 2k products are the way to go and a high quality clear coat is a must.

I would have sprayed the blend and then after it flashed of well, shot some intercoat clear over the area where the stripes go. Let that flash and then tape off your stripes with 3M Fineline tape or similar and spray them. Remove the tape immediately and allow to flash off, then shoot 3 coats of clear over the entire tank.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:36 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:From reading your other posts, I fear you are not going to be happy with the results of using 1k products.

Motorcycles and especially the fuel tanks take a lot of abuse. Quality 2k products are the way to go and a high quality clear coat is a must.

I would have sprayed the blend and then after it flashed of well, shot some intercoat clear over the area where the stripes go. Let that flash and then tape off your stripes with 3M Fineline tape or similar and spray them. Remove the tape immediately and allow to flash off, then shoot 3 coats of clear over the entire tank.

Thanks! Worse, this is the front fairing and not the tank I got it cheap and have been fooling with it for pure entertainment and learning. I'll sell it off when I'm done. Thank you on the tape recommendation. I'm learning about all these products and they are helping me greatly from using "packaging tape" and other crap to ad lib a proper solution.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:37 am
Oh yea, and I was not thinking when I initially shot it, and realized, hey idiot you don't have the paint for the stripes.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:19 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:From reading your other posts, I fear you are not going to be happy with the results of using 1k products.

Prophetic. My lines looked great with the packing tape hack and the touch up brush kit from the factory for the first 4 inches. Then, not so much. On a white canvas, the burgundy stripe might as well be a floodlight if so much as a pinprick if the line is over or under.

Return to Body and Paint