Easiest way to repair my brake caliper paint job?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:29 am
I was clear coating my calipers and for some reason in the middle of doing a pass my spray paint can decided to "splurt" out and made some clear coat mess/blobs . The silver spots is the clear blobs. It looks ok-ish with wheel on from the front but it's bothering me. The clearcoat is Spray Max 1K Clear Acrylic 3680058.

Theres 3 coats of clear now over the 3 coats of paint and it and dried overnight.

Can I just mask of so only blobby area is there. Then sand the blobby area a little bit to make it look "dull", then just spray back clear coat? Or do I need to do paint to.

Or if you have more idea.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:59 am
I would get all that nastiness off and scuff it with a scratch pad then recolor and reclear.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:43 pm
badsix wrote:I would get all that nastiness off and scuff it with a scratch pad then recolor and reclear.
Jay D.

Man recoloring would be a PITA.

I'm down to just re clear coat instead. My paint is perfect under. Just the clear coat came out wack.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:42 pm
You'll never sand that clear splatter off without damaging the base coat underneath or leaving marks that will show.

As Jay said, sand it back and re-base and then re-clear.

BTW, that clear is just plain old acrylic. Probably won't stand up to the heat generated there.
Chris

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 pm
NFT5 wrote:You'll never sand that clear splatter off without damaging the base coat underneath or leaving marks that will show.

As Jay said, sand it back and re-base and then re-clear.

BTW, that clear is just plain old acrylic. Probably won't stand up to the heat generated there.

Shoot... That means it's just like a plastic ish clear? If it fails I'll redo it with the VHT high temp specific clear. It's the only clear coat I can find for high heat that's why I thought all clear coat were made to resist heat. Like in the hot sun for a whole day outside on the roof of a car for example.

But yeah, my results are even better than the other calipers I would say wow. Let's hope it sticks on with the heat. I wetsanded everything 600 grit and focused a bit more on the splatter. Then did 2 coats of paint and then 3 coats of clear.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 am
heres a pretty good video showing temps on brake parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEL9diENZY0

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 am
tomsteve wrote:heres a pretty good video showing temps on brake parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEL9diENZY0

Oh okay it's not that bad though calipers would hit much higher. Maybe my clear coat will handle.

Return to Body and Paint