Adding clear over fresh clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:30 am
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the proper way to add more clear to a fresh clear job.

I sprayed 3 coats of PPG DCU 2021 and I think I had a technique issue- it didn't exactly lay down like glass and there's a rough texture in a few spots. The car is a '68 Nova and it took about two quarts of clear/96oz. sprayable for the three coats. For some reason I was expecting to use more.

I'm concerned that there's not enough on there and I'd like to add another two. Based on what I've seen I can just sand down the rough spots with P800, scuff the whole car with a grey scotchbrite and scuffing gel, and add two further coats.

Does that sound right?

Thanks!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:55 am
Uhhhhhh....I know I crab a lot about math but 96 ounces is 3 quarts of clear in my world...... and that sounds in the ball park depending on the gun, technique, etc......I'm not a big fan of exceeding mil spec.s on clears but it's your car. Might try and do a little cut and buff on a rough area.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 am
:goodpost: I'm with Darrel on the excessive millage 3 coats if it when on reasonably smooth I would think you did all right. 3 quarts ready to spray on that car its (not a big boat) is probably about right. I don't think I could do it with 3, I put my clear on quite wet. makes a big difference in how much you use. gun set up makes a big difference. I think you did ok though. I would try as Darrell suggested buffing the rough spots. if that doesn't work out for you then think about more clear coats.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:18 pm
Was size tip did you use on the spray gun?

I don't consider myself a pro by any means but just the outside of the car would take 72 oz of RTS per coat. That's 9 panels (2 fenders, 2 doors, 2 quarters, the hood, roof and trunk lid.) Maybe on a small car like Nova, 63 oz RTS per coat.

If you want to see my work, look in the projects section there are plenty of finished cars to see.

Suggest you lightly block sand with 600 (800 if this makes you nervous) just to flatten rough areas, dull the rest with a maroon scotchbrite pad then shoot one medium wet coat, let that flash until you can touch the clear on the masking tap and it doesn't string. Then shoot another coat with some slow reducer added. As soon as the cloud clears, shut the fans off.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:26 pm
Thanks, everybody! I appreciate the input!

'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Was size tip did you use on the spray gun?

I don't consider myself a pro by any means but just the outside of the car would take 72 oz of RTS per coat. That's 9 panels (2 fenders, 2 doors, 2 quarters, the hood, roof and trunk lid.)

If you want to see my work, look in the projects section there are plenty of finished cars to see.

Suggest you lightly block sand with 600 (800 if this makes you nervous) just to flatten rough areas, dull the rest with a maroon scotchbrite pad then shoot one medium wet coat, let that flash until you can touch the clear on the masking tap and it doesn't string. Then shoot another coat with some slow reducer added. As soon as the cloud clears, shut the fans off.

Iwata LPH 400, 1.4 tip silver cap. Run at 24-26 at the inlet. I'm going to inspect the finish again tonight and try to get some pictures.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:41 pm
I have that same gun and have used it a lot for clear coat.
PSI at the gun with triggered pulled is the same as you use.

To set the fluid flow, I back the fluid knob all the way out so I can pull the trigger full open. Then while holding it full open I begin turning the fluid knob back in until I feel it begin too lift the trigger. I then let go of the trigger and turn the fluid knob 1/2 turn in.

That seems to get it pretty good for me. I hold the gun about 4" from the surface and move about 12" per second. 50% overlap.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:47 am
Just to give an update:

Couldn't get a good pic but the clear certainly seems light. Didn't seem to flow out and level and there's texture all over the car. Live and learn I guess.

I started de-glossing it with P800 on a soft block and it seems to go pretty fast. I'm going to try to get it all prepped to re-spray next week.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:19 am
Well, yeah, if that's the case I'd definitely flow coat it then. Do you think 800 is aggressive enough....I think I'd be at more like 600......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:21 am
I am guessing you were too far from the surface with the gun and moving too quickly. The other possibility is that you had the fluid knob turned in too far.

4-5" from the surface when spraying is about right for this gun. Practice moving your hand across a yardstick at 12" per second to get an idea of spraying speed.

The LPH400 1.4 has a good reputation as a clear coat gun for many years. It is a softer spray, puts out less volume of paint and requires some getting used to.

Everyone sprays differently and some are more comfortable being farther from the panel and moving more quickly. SATA spray guns would be more suited for them and remember if you do change spray guns none of the above will apply.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:46 am
DarrelK wrote:Well, yeah, if that's the case I'd definitely flow coat it then. Do you think 800 is aggressive enough....I think I'd be at more like 600......

Honestly I'm a little concerned about sanding through to base by accident. It has the "3 coats" on there but I'm really trying to avoid having to buy and spray more base. Just kind of went with the PPG recommendation of P800, and I had a bunch of that already.

'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I am guessing you were too far from the surface with the gun and moving too quickly. The other possibility is that you had the fluid knob turned in too far.

4-5" from the surface when spraying is about right for this gun. Practice moving your hand across a yardstick at 12" per second to get an idea of spraying speed.

The LPH400 1.4 has a good reputation as a clear coat gun for many years. It is a softer spray, puts out less volume of paint and requires some getting used to.

Everyone sprays differently and some are more comfortable being farther from the panel and moving more quickly. SATA spray guns would be more suited for them and remember if you do change spray guns none of the above will apply.

Pretty sure you nailed it. Too fast and too far. I've got a test panel sprayed already and I'm going to use your advice to dial the gun and technique in.

I really appreciate everybody's input. Thanks!
Next

Return to Body and Paint