Peel in base coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm
Previously i have been spraying mostly darker colours. Now when im spraying light blue i see that i have i bit too much peel or roughness in the base for my liking. Whats the best way to prevent this? Spray closer at lower psi?

The paint is standox Standohyd waterborne mix 5-10 % with dem water.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:50 pm
Need more information.
Gun
Spray tip size
settings
reducer speed
distance from panel when spraying
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:49 pm
Im not in the workshop right now but i think its the Air Gunsa AZ3 HTE-S, 1.2 or 1.3. I use it for all my base. I check next time im there. Sprayed at 1.8 bar, 3.5 turns out, pretty wide fan. Normal reducer. About 20 cm away, according to Standox the Standohyd paint should be sprayed at 20-25 cm away and 30-35 cm for the last effect coat.

I think maybe im spraying too dry or too heavy. The substrate under is well sanded and smooth. The first lighter coat goes on very smooth the in the following coats i get the rough texture.

The sprayed panel looks ok but a little bit to much peel. Pics from top of a fender with flashlight on.
Attachments
20190804_221151.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 pm
Okay, first I just want to say that I am not that familiar with this particular water base coat however in just reading some of the spec. sheets on it and how it reduces you may not be as much to blame for your results as the product itself. This constant reference to a 1 and a half coat or base/effect coat kept reminding of another product we have here that is both reduced and acts very much the same. That is not really "peel" I see but definitely texture. The Auto Air Color and Wicked base color coats have almost exactly that kind of texture when they lay down. The companies that make those products always claimed that their final sprayed color product did indeed have both texture and some micro porosity which made the subsequent clear coat "lock in" to the base. When done "right" the texture of the color coat always felt like a 320 to 400p grit surface. Again, not orange peely but texture. Have you ever seen another pro shop shoot this base before they applied their clear? Maybe you aren't that far off......just some thoughts......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:19 am
Never seen anyone else spray it but what you say seems reasonable, the texture you talk about being mentioned by Standox themself here among other places:

https://www.standox.com/corporate/en_GB ... damp-.html

And if done right the texture shold flow at to smooth.

When looking at my sprayed panel its looks ok so i have no plans on repaint this time but i would like to get a little less texture so i get closer to oem. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:40 am
I use the same gun for base and always have a little texture. I'm using solvent, not water, but the Cromax 6000 is similar in viscosity to water and application method (1 1/2 coats) is the same. Using a 1.3mm tip I run at 2 bar with fan almost fully open, air fully open and fluid at 2.5 turn out from closed.

The fine texture is not visible after clear is applied.
Chris

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:48 am
I will give 2.5 turn a try instead of 3.5. When you spray, do you only spray 1.5 coats? When ever i spray only 1.5 coat i have problem covering p800 scrathes. On the picture there is 3 coats + 1 effect coat as final coat.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:41 am
With most basecoats I apply almost exactly as the paint company specifies and regularly check thickness.

Premium basecoats like the Cromax 6000 and the Standoblue will give correct coverage with 1.5 coats, provided you use the correct ValueShade primer. Economy basecoats need 2-3 full coats although I've generally found the L400 acrylic to be pretty good with 2 wet coats.

I almost always finish to P800 wet and never have a problem with scratches. P600 is dangerous though, although ok for solids.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:56 am
Sorry for the question - but newbie here.
How do you spray a ".5" coat (as in the 1.5 coats)?

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 am
NFT5 wrote:With most basecoats I apply almost exactly as the paint company specifies and regularly check thickness.

Premium basecoats like the Cromax 6000 and the Standoblue will give correct coverage with 1.5 coats, provided you use the correct ValueShade primer. Economy basecoats need 2-3 full coats although I've generally found the L400 acrylic to be pretty good with 2 wet coats.

I almost always finish to P800 wet and never have a problem with scratches. P600 is dangerous though, although ok for solids.

I use acrylic filler dark grey, i have no problem with covering the primer in 1.5 coat. 1.5 coats looks good but i get scratches showing trough both when i spray marin blue and light blue. How heavy do you spray when only 1.5 to cover? When i spray 3 coats i do 1 light and 2 medium + effect.

Do you have any other suggestions on how to reduce the texture? For this project im fine with doing 3 coats as long its not the coats that give me the texture.

1.5 is one full coat + 1 effect coat which you spray on wet base from greater distance.
Next

Return to Body and Paint