Peel in base coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 pm
CountryB wrote:How do you spray a ".5" coat (as in the 1.5 coats)?

It's just a very light coat. Wet, but only just and not trying to get colour coverage at all. It gives a shaded base and grip for the next coat and because it dries so quickly means that you can virtually start your second coat straight away.

Dokus wrote:I use acrylic filler dark grey,

Acrylic primer/filler shrinks quite a lot, so scratches can show through after drying. Let it dry for longer before sanding. Also try reducing it a little less, so that you have more solids content. The one that I use, PPG One Shot, I reduce at 1:1 (primer:thinner) if the surface is good, but go up to 2:1 if it needs to fill a bit more. Try to pay more attention to the surface condition before you prime - although One Shot will fill P240 scratches it really is best to have a good smooth surface at P400 before you prime.

That way you're not depending on the primer to cover your mistakes and the less primer the better the paint job.
Chris

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:12 am
I will give it a try, the acrilyc filler is 4:1 with 20% reducer. I already follow your step with substrate sanding smooth up to p400 but my eyes are under sanding and paint training i might not see the problem spots, its getting better every time.

Sprayed some last evening and my primer smiled when being sprayed.
Attachments
20190805_215504.jpg

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:18 pm
Success! I sanded the substrate up to p500 and sprayed base with 2.5 turns out instead of 3.5 and no more texture in base. Thanks you guys!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:02 pm
Ok, bear with me as I have a couple more rookie weekender questions...

NFT5 wrote:

It's just a very light coat. Wet, but only just and not trying to get colour coverage at all. It gives a shaded base and grip for the next coat and because it dries so quickly means that you can virtually start your second coat straight away.

* Do you spray that 1/2 coat first, as opposed to a metallic's "drop coat"?

* If so, how do you keep from tiger striping?

Dokus wrote:Success! I sanded the substrate up to p500 and sprayed base with 2.5 turns out instead of 3.5 and no more texture in base. Thanks you guys!

* Why did it help Dokus eliminate texture in his BC by turning down the fluid knob?
Did the smaller amount of paint allow the same pressure (air flow?) to atomize the droplets better, or is it something else?
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:55 am
You spray 1/2 directly after the coat you just sprayed. According to Standox you should spray the half coat from greater distance. Since it's a lighter coat striping should not be a problem. If you do get striping, just spray that area again.

I don't really know why it help turning the fluid down but i have now sprayed several parts with no texture. Spraying at 2.0 bar, 2.5 fluid out from closed.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 am
yes it will give better atomization. I think if your getting tiger striping its in your application technique. your to close, your putting it on to heavy, incorrect gun settings. just to name a few out of many things that cause this problem. it should go on smooth and even. I've never had a problem with striping base coat, I do use a quality product though.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:09 pm
I had striping issue when i began to paint and painted too heavy and too close.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:59 am
NFT5 wrote:

badsix wrote:yes it will give better atomization. I think if your getting tiger striping its in your application technique. your to close, your putting it on to heavy, incorrect gun settings. just to name a few out of many things that cause this problem. it should go on smooth and even. I've never had a problem with striping base coat, I do use a quality product though.
Jay D.
Sorry for asking more newbie questions but are you guys saying to spray a very light coat both before and after? Still curious exactly what this "effect" coat is since I haven't seen that discussed much in other threads. TIA!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:37 pm
The discussion here is dealing with a water based paint. I suggest if you have questions about a solvent based product you start a new thread.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 pm
Yeah, seems like we have gotten two separate answers for what 1.5 coats is.

NFT5 wrote

Which I read as the 0.5 coat is a first light coat followed by one regular coat.

Then Dokus wrote
You spray 1/2 directly after the coat you just sprayed. According to Standox you should spray the half coat from greater distance. Since it's a lighter coat striping should not be a problem...

Which sounds to me like what I have been told was a “drop coat” which is a light last coat

The good news is that Dokus got it figured out, and it sounds like he did the same thing that I did when I sprayed PPG Envirobase (waterborne). I had to pull the gun away from my surface more than compared to solvent based products.

So, I guess both JBinMD and myself still just want to know where the 0.5 coat comes – before or after the 1.0 coat?

BTW, once I got the hang of the waterborne, I loved it as it was stinking hot (and dry) when I did my trunk lid – the flash time was like two minutes! It would be great for inter-coat kandys , a little pricey but I’d like to use it during the hot Summer months.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint