ALWAYS filter your primer!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:06 pm
My Auto Body 101 lesson and what I learned over the weekend, or “yep, I did another old guy weekender rookie mistake”

ALWAYS filter your primer!

I built a couple of mdf/fiberglass door panels for speakers for my buddy’s 56 F100 that will be covered in leather.

I used FFG2 (Feather Fill G2) over the fiberglass substrate, the fiber glass was sanded and shaped with 36 grit on Saturday. Then covered with three coats of the FFG2

On Sunday, after 180 blocking most of the FFG2 off, I measured out three more 8 oz portions of the FFG2, one in grey and two more in buff color.

The grey was the last 8 oz. of the gallon can and I just dumped it right into the mixing cup, added the hardener while never even looking at or thinking of a filter. Why would I need to filter my poly as I’m gonna sand it anyway? As soon as I pulled the trigger on the Air Gunza with a 3.0 tip, it looked like I was shooting texture on sheet rock! As soon as I saw it, I knew what it was. I did take some photos, but they came out blurry probably due my being… – well not happy.

Had to decide on whether or not to throw on the other two coats or stop and sand it off. I stopped there, let it dry and sanded with some 220 prior to applying two more coats of the FFG2.

And yes, this time I used the cone filters! Not using that ten-cent filter cost me about an hour and a half of extra time, but I did give me time to clean up my shop area a little bit.

I will not skip the filters in the future.
Last edited by OldFatBald on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:07 pm
I think everyone has probably bin their. I know I have, now nothing goes in my cup unless its strained, and my gun never plugs.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:36 pm
Yep! strain it all.
I have a metal mesh filter I reuse.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:25 pm
You mean that there are people that DON'T strain their paint? :shocked:
Chris

Return to Body and Paint