Any tricks to pouring paint out of can and getting it all?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:58 am
Anyone have any tips or tricks on pouring paint out of the can without making a mess - and how do you get all the paint out?

I used a plastic (clip on ) pouring spout on my "house paint" gallon cans. It keeps the paint from filling the grooves where the lid seals. For the automotive paints, my cans are mostly pint and quart sizes. I suppose they make a snap-on pouring spout for those sizes too. Are there any other ways/tips to pour paint without making a mess?
I saw one video where the guy used tape to form/buildup a pouring spout - but that didn't work too good for me when I tried it.

Also how do you get all the paint out? The lip at the top of the can prevents pouring out the entire contents. Anyone have a trick to get all the paint out - or is that loss just the cost of doing business?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:23 pm
just what are you trying to pour the paint into? I use the plastic mixing cups and its easy to pour from a pint or quart can into a med or large mixing cup. sound like you need practice. the gal cans can be a challenge sometimes, but the tape thing works. if i'm only going to mix part of a can then I punch 3-4 holes in the lip of the can with an awl. this lets the paint drain back into the can and also lets the lid go on easier. I don't worry about the small amount of paint caught by the lip of the can, its only enough to paint a nats bicycle. but buy punching the holes that would let it drain completely. you could also rinse the can with a little reducer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 pm
Yes, pouring into mixing cups.

That idea about punching some drain holes in the lip is really smart.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:02 pm
I just use tape.

DSC04308.JPG
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:52 am
CountryB wrote:
Also how do you get all the paint out? The lip at the top of the can prevents pouring out the entire contents. Anyone have a trick to get all the paint out - or is that loss just the cost of doing business?

there usually isnt that much paint at the bottom of a can but them holes popped in the rim help. you could pop a hole or 2 in the side of the can right below the lip.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:49 am
If I'm trying to get it all, I pour some reducer in the can after emptying, shake it, then use
that for my 1 to 1 reduction of the paint.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:40 pm
I use a can opener.

I have two in the drawer of the paint mixing bench. One opens by cutting the side of the tin and I use this for lidded tins. The other cuts the top of the tin and I use this for tins that have plastic pouring spouts.

You only need to cut a small section then use a screwdriver or similar to open it up.

It's amazing how much stays in the tin - more than 100ml in the tins with pouring spouts.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint