How long to wait after new paint before driving?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:28 am
I finished the painting of the front nose and door of my RV (the tan and gold). It's base coat clear coat, as you probably know from my other posts/questions.

How long do I need to wait before driving on the Interstate (70 mph bug splats). I read that it takes about 90 days for paint to fully harden and wax can be applied. I would not want to damage paint by taking on road too soon. My first trip is scheduled for mid-September (which will be 2400 miles of Interstate highway driving).

IMG_1617 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152383962@N02/

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:16 am
Mid September will be fine.

There are non-sealing, non-silicone glazes available that will give your paint protection without stopping the ability of the paint to continue to harden by evaporation of solvents which is, of course, the reason why it is generally not recommended to wax for a couple of months after new paint application.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 am
I had a similar situation with a stiletto style (think like a Pantera ) nose on a sports car. I used a 3M non sealing glaze. At most gas stops I would take some PPG Acrylic-Clean and wipe off the bugs, then hit it with the glaze again. You do not want the bug guts to stick and harden in the sun. Worked well, paint was maybe 6 weeks old when I got it on the road.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:38 am
Thanks for the tip.
I Googled that and found 3M Hand Glaze p/n 39007. I'll get some of that.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 717&rt=rud

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:08 am
nice job on the paint work :clap:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint