New car paint protection recommendation..

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:35 am
So my car is now '9605 Pre EU port of exit.' and the excitement is growing!!

I have been looking at getting a paint protection coating applied prior to collection. I have done a little research on here and Gtechniq seems to come highly recommended. So my question;

a) can anybody recommend a good Gtechniq approved detailer around the Plymouth area? (I am yorkshire based but have purchased the car from plymouth)

b) are there any other detailing products that compare / are worth looking at?

Thanks in advance, I have zero experience with detailing or paint protection and would like to keep my pride and joy pristine!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 am
Not big on the net results of paint protection products. Find a good polymer based product, apply 2 to 4 times a year..... Best paint protection system? Garage at home after hours and driving to an enclosed parking garage during the daytime hours. Bought a 5 year old Corvette coming off lease where the guy did that everyday. Paint was like new. Said he just washed it now and then.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:45 pm
read NFT5's(chris') reply here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27638

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:11 pm
:goodpost: as always. so what do you guys think of the ceramic coatings ? I have a 2010 GMC crew cab and when I bought it used about 3 years ago 60k mi. the dealer said it had a ceramic coating. all I have ever done to it is wash it with auto soap and water, it has the glossiest shine to it I have ever seen. no spots or streaks. I wipe the chrome off but the paint looks like it was just polished. i'm thinking about getting some for my new Toyota Highlander, so what do ya think?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:01 pm
Jay, I again am not a huge believer in most of the snake oil stuff that being sold out there as paint sealers. Having said that the newer Nano Ceramic style sealants do have some unique characteristics that make them longer lasting than most regular polymers. Here is about the best "explanation" of just what these ceramic sealants are all about....this is cribbed from a detailing site....

What is Ceramic Coating?
Essentially, Nano technology in the detailing industry utilizes a 9th century Mesopotamian trick. A trick in which pottery-makers created a metallic Nano glaze made from copper, silver salts, and oxides that created a glittering effect on pottery that up through the Renaissance, made it distinctive for its ancient, shimmering lustre. The term “coating” is nothing more than a new term to identify these incredibly durable polymers. Because that’s all these Nano paint coatings are, polymers

Ceramic Coating is a protective liquid polymer product that is applied to the exterior of a vehicle. This coating , generally speaking , is liquid made up of ceramic Nano particles that are suspended in a clear resin that when applied, hardens into a virtually impermeable surface that is chemically bonded to the vehicle it is applied to.

If applied correctly (and it can be tricky!), ceramic coatings will not delaminate or chip off the surface it is applied to. And is considered “semi-permanent”, in that it will always be there until it is abraded off the surface. Once cured, most ceramic coatings will display insane water repellent properties, increased paint gloss levels, greater resistance to abrasion and chemicals, and additional UV blockers to prevent colour fading and oxidation of the paint. Think of it as a second layer of skin, or a sacrificial layer or protection for the cars paint

So would I be investing in a dealer applied sealant? I trade cars out so often it probably wouldn't be worth it for me. I'm just happy with applying Rejex twice a year to my cars and the paint still looks OEM when I'm ready to sell/trade.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint