Primer or sealer after sanding car in 220

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:02 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I cannot understate how important guide coat is to getting it perfect.

Only 2 coats of base? What color?

Only 2 coats of clear?

I guess we are back to Painter Dave's question: What kind of quality are you looking for?

2 coats sealer if im using white,
1 coat sealer gray or dk gray,

2-3 coats base, DeBeer MS / HS , EC520,530,550 clears ill post a few pics later.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm
Do yourself a favor and spray a few coats of 2K primer and guide coat it,
then sand it smooth with 600 grit.
You'll get a much better looking and durable paint job that way.
I guarantee you, once you start sanding the guide coat off you'll
be amazed all the imperfections you'll sand out.
I am still surprised every time I do it, and I've been doing it a long time.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:07 pm
Good job:
350znoobie wrote:Im looking for a paint job that you can look at for a few seconds and think, wow, that looks good!

Poor job:
350znoobie wrote:I read a couple articles about a guide coat, and don't think going through the effort to put it on would be worth the time.

Choose one or the other. Getting the result you want in the first quote, above, means putting in the effort to get it right before you paint. If you take the lazy route, as it looks like you want to in the second quote, then you won't get the result you want.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:48 am
NFT5 wrote:Good job:
350znoobie wrote:Im looking for a paint job that you can look at for a few seconds and think, wow, that looks good!

Poor job:
350znoobie wrote:I read a couple articles about a guide coat, and don't think going through the effort to put it on would be worth the time.

Choose one or the other. Getting the result you want in the first quote, above, means putting in the effort to get it right before you paint. If you take the lazy route, as it looks like you want to in the second quote, then you won't get the result you want.

HOK on the technical data sheet of the base I'm spraying suggests an even, flat color underneath the base as it is semi transparent. It also suggests shooting overtop the sealer. Would I guidecoat before sealing? I can't shoot base over the guide coat as it is uneven in pigment. I spent about 2-3 hours per body panel sanding 220. How much would you suggest for the guide coat?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:51 am
The guide coat is completely sanded off, that's what it's for, to know you have
the primer scratch and defect free ready for paint.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:28 am
Read this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17445
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:26 pm
:goodjob:
Good tutorial on guide coating.

350Znoobie, if the vehicle is actually a 350Z and you've already blocked it using a cross-hatched pattern, the guide coat process won't take much time or energy at all. And as stated, it'll be well worth it especially if you're spraying a dark color.

It hasn't been mentioned, but since this is your first paint job be aware of the hazards of spraying iso type paints...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:52 am
NightTrain wrote::goodjob:
Good tutorial on guide coating.

350Znoobie, if the vehicle is actually a 350Z and you've already blocked it using a cross-hatched pattern, the guide coat process won't take much time or energy at all. And as stated, it'll be well worth it especially if you're spraying a dark color.

It hasn't been mentioned, but since this is your first paint job be aware of the hazards of spraying iso type paints...

Most of the sanding was done with a da sander and then I used blocks for the small curves etc.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:37 am
NFT5 wrote:Good job:

Poor job:

Well boys, apparently I underestimated the power of dust. I'm going to build a paint booth in my garage, and I'll hit my dusty primer with a guide coat since I need to Sand the entire thing anyways lol. Wish me Luck! I think this project is going to take a month longer. At least I'll be able to paint more cars at home soon.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:14 pm
I started learning body and paint back in '67. I've been out of it for about 15 years other than small jobs. I know alot has changed since back in the day, so could you guys explain why you would finish sand with 220? Is the sealer that good that it would seal the sand scratches? I couldn't imagine using anything less than 400 grit for final sanding. I never did body and paint for a living but my idea of part time was generally about 30 hours a week plus my "real" job. Obviously things have definitely changed. I'm open to some schooling.
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint