Tutorial available?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 pm
I've been sitting here for several hours just taking in everything that people have been sharing about sanding/painting. I was thinking how nice it would be if someone has a tutorial they'd be willing to share of if someone knows a good youtube that has sanding and painting from start to finish?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:16 pm
I'd start on Youtube with anything by Kevin Tetz. You can also buy the Paintucation series DVD sets if you really want to get into the nuts and bolts of the work but the Youtube videos would get you started. If you want to get into more custom finishing work I found that Craig Fraser was pretty easy to learn from on Youtube. The only downside to just looking around for stuff on the internet is that there is a lot of "bad habits" floating around as well, even on popular videos which are heavily watched.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:42 am
Awesome, I'll check it out. Thank you.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:35 am
There is more on this channel
https://youtu.be/fRPEDZ7Q3vM

https://youtu.be/DXdrcsBeEcA

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 am
As mentioned above, the Kevin Tezt Paintucation DVD's are great. Another great DVD series is Craig Hopkins from Auto Metal Direct. His Welding technique for sheet metal and his Panel Perfect video are excellent. Both guys have stuff on Youtube. You can also download for free PPG's restoration guide that goes over step by step their recommended process. Also look for "How to paint your car" at your local library.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:42 am
Welcome to the Forum.

There are many good articles on the Info Center plus Sticky Posts at the top of each specific forum to help you understand the process.

I wrote an article to help people like yourself: https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/

Suggest you start a thread in the projects section so people can follow your progress.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:35 pm
My suggestion, watch some of the videos, but get out in the garage and get started on a smaller scale project - I started with subwoofer boxes vs. a complete car.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes, you learn from them. Take lots of photos and post questions on the forum. These guys have YEARS of combined experience and are more than willing to help. I look back at what I started with two years or so ago and just laugh at myself, these guys will help so much and not be deprecating.

So get out there and start on something that you don't mind screwing up and doing over a few times - I wouldn't start with your girlfriend's or wife's new Audi!

And with the research, don't forget to research your tools ahead of time when possible. You don't need a Sata (you'll want one later!)to start but skip the Starting Line guns.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:21 am
I agree with the Kevin Tetz video series recommendation. I bought the whole set years ago, even though I had some years of amateur experience painting. Also, I would recommend going to a local pull a part junk yard, and buying a hood, or door, to take home and practice on. Watch the video, and then just give it a try. If you think you are going to do this more than once, buy at least a 5 hp compressor-you will thank yourself later. Also, don't try to get by with just one spray gun-always use a dedicated gun for primer. Depending on how serious you plan on getting, a compressor, 2 guns, some air tools, etc. and you can easily drop a grand or more just to get started. Good luck!
Life is short. Play hard.

Return to Body and Paint