How do I remove Paint Line - if its even possible now

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:33 pm
I used thin line masking tape, but when I pulled off the tape (after Base and Clear coat) I have a pretty thick paint line.
Can I sand this down - or is too late? Since this is Base coat Clear coat, I think the build up is in the Base too, so I can sand to that. Should I run some 1200 grit over this to smooth it out and lessen the paint line?

This is the worse place. The Gold is what I painted. The lighter color was not done.
Paint lines by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos

This is more typical of the line. I didn't see all the dust/dirt when I was taking the photo.
Paint lines2 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:22 pm
what's it on, how about a big picture of what it's on.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:48 am
2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder - 42ft motorcoach

IMG_1617 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos

2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 am
try and carefully trim it with a razor blade then lightly sand the complete panel, then clear the complete panel.
what you should have done was to sand the complete panel then did your graphics with the base only then pulled the tape and cleared the complete panel.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:46 pm
Okay - I'll know next time. That would have added a lot of Clear cost to the project, but it would have been worth it. That's another lesson learned.
Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm
it would have only took a couple more oz to spray that small section. if you had to mask for the clear let the clear dry for about 45 min or until its not tacky then pull the tape, don't wait until its real dry. when you pull the tape don't pull it up, pull it back over its self. if any of it flakes off don't try and wipe it off blow it off with an air hose.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:53 am
Just to be sure I understand the correct process...
1) I mask the off the areas where color changes(that I don't want base coat sprayed on) and then spray the new base coat (two or three coatings, as needed);
2) After final base coat application, I remove the tape (best to remove when paint is still tacky if possible);
3) I scuff the old paint above the tape lines (the area I did not spray base on).
4) I spray the new clear on the new base coat and the old "scuffed" paint). So the base coat paint line is covered and few inches above that. The new clear coat spray would also extend past the scuffed paint onto the existing clear.
5) compound the new clear coat (which will remove any clear coat that was sprayed on the "non-scuffed" areas).

Do I have the process right?

Bumper repaint by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:31 pm
I'm not sure I understand your last post? your talking about extending on to existing clear. I'm talking about what this post was originally, the graphic on the pull out. anytime your going to paint part of t panel, its USUALY better to sand the complete panel then color what's needed then clear the complete panel. like your gen slide out, or what ever it is. you should have sanded the complete area with 600 or so, then did you masking for the z graphic. then spray your base color then pull the tape, there shouldn't be much of a line with just the base. now saying that your still in the recoat window of the base, you just spray the complete slide out color area that you put the graphic on job done.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:09 am
What I'm trying to understand is how to spray the clear beyond the area that is being painted so the paint line is less thick.

So in the photo above, if I am spraying the light-tan color (the color between the red lines in the photo), I will need to tape/mask off the area above and below the "red lines" in the photo (the areas with different colors). Forget about the "Z" in the panel for now - I just want to be sure to understand the basic process to minimize the "tape line" paint thickness at the color changes (stripes).

So I spray (base coat), the light-tan area between the red lines, then remove the tape and masking paper, then spray the clear "beyond" the area where the base is sprayed so I have less build up where the tape line was.

Is this correct?

If so, then do I need to scuff the area above and below the tape lines so the clear coat will bond to the existing clear on the panels I did not spray base coat.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 am
it sounds like your going to have to mask the upper and lower part. you really don't want to shoot the clear up onto the dark brown then try and buff it off that's an old lacquer way. what you should have originally done from the start was to do all the color repairs you did bass only ( lower bumper center section ) then cleared from the windshield down. if you want to try it you can mask the base color then pull the tape and BACK TAPE along the base color line then spray your clear this will give a soft line with the clear.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint