subaru small paint repair

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!



Non-Lurker
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:17 am

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:29 am
Ok,

I had surface rust on bottom right corner of my 04 STI. I sanded down that corner 2in. by 2In. Applied two coats of primer and proceeded to add 3 color coats. Unfortunately I'm not seeing the coats build up to the original paint. There's definitive lines from where I sanded the corner.

Do I add more primer on top of color?
Or just add more color coats?
Sand down again to bare and start over?
1000grit wet sand the lines to flatten them out?

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 5058
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: central Ohio
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:26 am
Pic.s would really be helpful here....also is this just a touch-up style paint or is this base/clear.., haven't heard you mention "clear."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

User avatar

Top Contributor
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:46 am
Location: Canberra
Country:
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 am
Sand out the lines and feather them right out. Reapply primer but make sure you allow each coat to flash off well. Re-sand and apply colour.
Chris



Non-Lurker
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:17 am

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:55 pm
NFT5 wrote:Sand out the lines and feather them right out. Reapply primer but make sure you allow each coat to flash off well. Re-sand and apply colour.



Is it ok to put primer over color after sanding or should I sand right down to bare metal?



Non-Lurker
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:17 am

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:57 pm
DarrelK wrote:Pic.s would really be helpful here....also is this just a touch-up style paint or is this base/clear.., haven't heard you mention "clear."


3 step primer color clear rattle can. I didn't mention clear cause I was stuck on seeing the lines.

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 5058
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: central Ohio
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:37 pm
Aha! Just regular touch-up grade rattle cans right? It takes a lot of build of all those coats to match up to factory coating. Might try and do like 4 to 6 coats of primer and see if you are starting to come more up to level. If not, sand back, somewhat let it shrink for a few days and hit with primer again. I would think by then you'd be okay with 2 to 3 coats of color, then building clear. Clear could take 4 to 6 coast to build up enough.
The problem....simple 1k lacquer in aerosols = low solids
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!



Non-Lurker
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:17 am

Country:
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:27 pm
DarrelK wrote:Aha! Just regular touch-up grade rattle cans right? It takes a lot of build of all those coats to match up to factory coating. Might try and do like 4 to 6 coats of primer and see if you are starting to come more up to level. If not, sand back, somewhat let it shrink for a few days and hit with primer again. I would think by then you'd be okay with 2 to 3 coats of color, then building clear. Clear could take 4 to 6 coast to build up enough.
The problem....simple 1k lacquer in aerosols = low solids



Great....Thx for the help. I only did 2 coats of primer. Will hit it with more tonight. Just getting it ready to sell.

Return to Body and Paint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: badsix, DarrelK, Google Adsense [Bot], NightTrain and 40 guests