Acrylics over Poly urethanes

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:54 pm
Thankyou for the informative reply, it was good to read

Steve

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:40 am
So which would be better for topcoating, the acrylic lacquer or two pack poly urethane, i have both.

Scenario, stratocaster guitar originally painted in i believe two pack poly, it was damaged on the top the size of a penny, the damage has been repaired and blended with acrylic paint, i find acrylic is easier to utilise for colour matching, no issues with hardeners etc.

So whole guitar now is scuff sanded with 320 grit, an area half the size of a five dollar bill has been acrylic air brushed, this airbrushed acrylic also lays lightly over the poly coat in the adjacent area to the damage, now i need to put a coat or three over the whole guitar so i dont have any witness lines in my clear when i sand and buff

Should i proceed with two pack or acrylic

Steve

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:36 am
I'd go with the two pack.

It's a bit tougher and higher gloss off the gun.

You may also need to refresh the paint on your repair area if that has sat for longer then the window for clearing.

I'd be a little concerned about your overall P320 scuffing. That is a bit coarse not to show scratches through the clear.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:16 am
Cool cool, my final clears get wet sanded flat and then buffed. I can do some finer sanding before clearing as the existing two pack is pretty thick.

Will scuff the acrylic tomoz and blow some 2 pack clears over it

Steve
Previous

Return to Body and Paint