blistering

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:07 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
oilcan12 wrote:hi badsix, any ideas what caused this the car was sitting for a week in primmer before i painted it. and the presol i used i let it flash for about 15 min before i painted. and i didnt see any boils when i prepsoled..
next is my 69 Chevelle ive been working on and its almost ready for paint im scared . thanks

Explain how you used the Prepsol.

:goodjob: I was getting to that - even if flashed, if not properly wiped off will leave a residue.

But let's see which layer pushed up, first, I think. PD could be on the money too, if the separation occurred below the primer.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:53 pm
i soaked a rag with prepsol and whiped down the rear quarters. let it dry, well i thought it was dry? about 15 of dry time .. then i painted it

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:23 pm
Ahhh. Well I'd say that we've found your problem.

There are two ways to use Prepsol.

1. The Spray on, wipe off method. Obvious from the description but spary on wet and wipe off with a clean rag, leaving surface as dry as possible. Then allow to flash before paint.

2. The 2 rag method. Wet one rag with Prepsol, wipe on wet and then use the other to wipe off, as above, leaving as dry as possible.

The removal of the Prepsol takes with it any contaminants. If you leave the surface wet then the Prepsol, which is just a solvent, can soften the surface and, of course, any contaminants will just remain there. Any residual Prepsol not flashed off in the 15 minutes will then try to evaporate off, pushing the layer of paint above, with it. If you just wiped it over and didn't dry off then that's likely what happened.

It is good practice to use a water or water/alcohol based cleaner as the last step before final tacking and painting, to remove anything left by Prepsol.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:33 pm
Yeah, that's what I was hinting at when I said smell it. I was guessing it would smell like your Prepsol.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm
Yep, you must wipe off the Prepsol with a clean towel BEFORE it dries. Same for other brands of Wax and Grease removers.

I like to put it in a spray bottle and then with the bottle in one hand and a clean rag/towel in the other work my way from top to bottom. The drying towel will get dirty if you are doing it right and needs to be changed when it does.

You will still need to let it flash off when done.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 am
CUT ONE OF THEM OPEN AND SEE WHATS IN IT! :knockout:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:57 pm
thanks alot for the help, i didnt realize that i couldnt just let the prepsol just flash off by itself...
im freaking out alittle because the same products i used onmy escape, i used on my chevelle minus the paint, i have alot of time invested in body work im getting close to getting it in paint.. speaking of which i got a deal on ebay on omni black that i was going to use. but now im getting second thoughts and thinking maybe a better product do you guys have any good paint you could recommend i heard omni isnt that great after i bought it of course. plus i still need to cut into a blister i will post a update when i do.. thanks alot for all the great info
Previous

Return to Body and Paint