blistering

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:35 pm
hello guys, i have a 08 ford escape with rust on the rear quarters, i wire wheeled the rust off to bare metal and made patch material out of galv sheet metal, welded them in used fiberglass strand infused filler bondo brand, sanded that then a skim coat of evercoat 838 filler, then i sprayed speedkote SMR-210 high build primer, then sprayed the correct color on both panels, i picked up the paint on ebay it came pre reduced as a pint with no name, then i sprayed 3 coats of nason clear.. it looked great when i sprayed it on sat now tues im getting a small area of blistering on the area above my welds but on my skim coat of filler. and nothing on the exsting clear i sprayed over. any ideas??? Thanks correction, the sheetmetal was welded on the very edge of the panel of the wheel well area, the blisters are away from any new sheetmetal i added and only where my skim coats of filler are, thanks
Attachments
20190903_185416.jpg
blisters

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:01 pm
Using a razor blade, cut the top off one of those bubbles and see what's inside.

My guess is that it's massive solvent boil, meaning that the coat that's on the bottom of the bubbled area didn't dry long enough and has continued to evaporate, pushing the layer(s) above off the surface. Moisture on the surface can do similar, that's why you want to have a look inside.

Either way, it will have to be sanded back and redone.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:11 pm
:goodpost: those aren't blisters there boils!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:42 am
hi badsix, any ideas what caused this the car was sitting for a week in primmer before i painted it. and the presol i used i let it flash for about 15 min before i painted. and i didnt see any boils when i prepsoled..
next is my 69 Chevelle ive been working on and its almost ready for paint im scared . thanks

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:54 am
You're jumping ahead a bit there, oilcan.

First open it up and have a look. What you see on the surface should give you some clues as to what happened. Those ones are pretty bad but I've seen worse.

Once you open it up then see how far the problem extends - it may go much further in terms of lack of adhesion, or it may be just a local problem. Those clues might help you remember what you did, or didn't do in the affected areas.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:09 am
oilcan12 wrote:hi badsix, any ideas what caused this the car was sitting for a week in primmer before i painted it. and the presol i used i let it flash for about 15 min before i painted. and i didnt see any boils when i prepsoled..
next is my 69 Chevelle ive been working on and its almost ready for paint im scared . thanks

Explain how you used the Prepsol.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:15 am
NFT5 wrote:You're jumping ahead a bit there, oilcan.

First open it up and have a look. What you see on the surface should give you some clues as to what happened. Those ones are pretty bad but I've seen worse.

Once you open it up then see how far the problem extends - it may go much further in terms of lack of adhesion, or it may be just a local problem. Those clues might help you remember what you did, or didn't do in the affected areas.

DO THIS FIRST ^^^^ its going to tell a lot about what's going on here
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:15 pm
ok thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:10 pm
Stick your nose near one when you first cut it....you'll probably get a whiff of what the offending stuff is....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:25 pm
pin holes is my guess or rust
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal
Next