Time to taking the bed off

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!



Settled In
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: Kansas
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:38 pm
Okay I think I am going to go for it and take my bed off as I am sanding and Blasting it. I want to lift it off and put it on a trailer and take it in to get it blasted. I can take it out to my dad's place and he has a tractor with a front-end loader that will lift it up and then I could set it in my trailer. Can someone give me instructions on how to do this as I have never done this before and I will probably really screw this up. There is no way whatsoever I'm taking the cab off.



Top Contributor
Posts: 4809
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: OREGON COAST
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 pm
All I can tell you is make sure you unhook the fuel filler tube and the wiring to the lights. also be careful with the straps how you attach them. if you just wrap them under the box they most likely will collapse the lower sheet metal. I would use hooks in the stake pockets. when you set it on your trailer block it under the bed don't let it set on the lower sheet metal.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay



Settled In
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: Kansas
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:42 am
badsix wrote:All I can tell you is make sure you unhook the fuel filler tube and the wiring to the lights. also be careful with the straps how you attach them. if you just wrap them under the box they most likely will collapse the lower sheet metal. I would use hooks in the stake pockets. when you set it on your trailer block it under the bed don't let it set on the lower sheet metal.
Jay D.

Thanks Jay



Top Contributor
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 pm
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:59 am
get up to the 7:20 mark in this video and it can gice you an idea of how to lift it.
however, 4 friends can lift a bed off,too.
wise to blast the bolts/nuts with some penetrating oil a day or so before.

User avatar

Board Moderator
Posts: 7739
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:40 pm
Location: ARIZONA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 am
Hmm, I have done this by myself many times.
Lift the bed, roll the truck out from under it.
1968 Coronet R/T


ACTS 16:31

User avatar

Fully Engaged
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 pm
Location: I live in a house
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:42 am
tomsteve wrote:get up to the 7:20 mark in this video and it can gice you an idea of how to lift it.
however, 4 friends can lift a bed off,too.
wise to blast the bolts/nuts with some penetrating oil a day or so before.


Is there a link that I am missing?
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...



Top Contributor
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 pm
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:22 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
Is there a link that I am missing?

whoops. that would prolly help,eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoW-xPDKiZ0



Settled In
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm
Location: Kansas
Country:
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 pm
tomsteve wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:
Is there a link that I am missing?

whoops. that would prolly help,eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoW-xPDKiZ0

Thanks Tom, that guy knows what he is doing. He stripped the whole truck by himself! I wish I had a garage like his to be able to do that.
I started removing my bed tonight. I got a late start but I removed 6 carriage bolts (originally I thought their were 4 bolts). First one I worked on came off easily, the other 5 I had to grind off. I can strap the bed down and take it over to the farm, where's there is a tractor with a front end loader. I'm kinda sketchy on driving it although it's kinda out in the country, but I don't want it falling off. Do you think this idea will work: I can get my wife and 15 year old son and me and we can lift up the end of the bed that is by the cab. Slide it off the back it and lift it at the same time so that it is standing vertically resting on the tailgate?
This way, we're not lifting the whole weight of the bed.



Top Contributor
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:16 pm
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:17 am
that bed wont be too heavy. you 3 could be able to do it. you could also work at lifting the front and back- one end at a time- and slide a 4 by 4 between the frame and bed. then get some sawhorse type thing set up under the ends of the 4 by 4s to hold the bed up and drive the truck out from under.
idk about setting the box on end. i wouldnt want to risk damage to it.

Return to Body and Paint

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests