I messed it up BIG TIME / Upol Raptor Mess

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:16 am
Ugh. It was completely perfect. And then I messed it up.

:knockout:

I have painted my Chevy Express with Upol Raptor. The top is white. The body is a subaru color called "Cool Gray Khahi". Up until now it has been almost perfect. However, I wanted to refresh the black trim around the driver's and passenger's windows along with the mirrors, the black door handles, and the trim in the back above the cargo doors. Now do know that I do have the black raptor for the spray gun. But, I though that perhaps I could control the spray a bit more and have a smoother texture with the aerosol cans that are now available. So I bought two cans thinking I would only need one. I cleaned. I masked. I cleaned again. I sanded. The gave it one last cleaning. Then I painted. The texture did not come out too bad. I wish it were just a bit smoother. I did need two cans, unfortunetly. Then I took off the masking. There was over spray EVERY WHERE! Luckily I got the over spray off the Cool Gray Khahi easily with some Goo Gone Overspray Remover. But my roof! The closest auto body store did not have enough cans in stock for me to do the entire roof.

Now when I say over spray, I am not talking drips or blobs. Where there was paper and plastic masking on the roof, it is a nice bright white. Where there was not, it looks dingy and gray.

How can I fix this?! Should I go around town cleaning out the auto part stores of Goo Gone Overspray Removal? Would that be the cheapest solution? Or can I give it a light sanding with my air compressor sander? If sanding it will regain my bright white roof, what grit should I use? Or do I just by another bottle of raptor and give the roof another coat of white?

Can anyone direct me on the best way to give me my bright white roof? I will be very appreciative and grateful for the sound advice. :worthy:

:cry:
Praying to get my perfect white roof back,
Keightley

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:49 am
A clay bar works perfect for that, I do it all the time.
They come in different grits, try and use one marked aggressive.
You'll be amazed how easy it takes it off and not bother the paint.
It actually helps the paint by removing the dirt embedded in it.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:17 pm
I don't think a clay bar will work. From what I see on youtube about it, clay bar works on smooth coat surfaces that are shiny and waxed. This is truck bed liner which has a rough texture and is not waxed.

Thinking on this problem a bit more, I don't even know if the Goo Gone Automotive Overspray will work by the time I get back to work on my van this weekend as the paint will have cured by that time.

What am I going to do?!!!!

:cry:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:51 am
looks good from my house. :happy:
try the clar bar,get more cans of that goo gone or let it go. you must be at least 7' tall if you can see the overspray on the roof.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:05 pm
definitely try a coarse grade clay bar,... or some acetone,...

Return to Body and Paint