Help!!! Small string like substance

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

India
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:12 am
https://www.flickr.com/gp/184363184@N08/T98YTE
https://www.flickr.com/gp/184363184@N08/5t8xY2Everytime i spray clear coat a small thread line substance shows up like in picture. What are the causes

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:26 am
Lint from rags. Looks like you've got a bunch of other contaminants going on with that clear as well. Better prep and shooting conditions are needed.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

India
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:56 am
What type of cloth u suggest to clean. Explain shooting conditions

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:32 am
The air is filled with dust and lint particles. Just look at a beam of light shining through a window into a dark room and you will see it.

To keep this off your fresh paint, you need a controlled environment with an air filtration system - i.e. a paint booth.

If painting without a booth it will be very difficult. A thorough cleaning of the area and wetting down the floor will help. Wear a painter's suit and gloves, use a quality tack rag to wipe the surface off just before you spray your first coat.

Having the vehicle or part grounded can help reduce the dust being electromagnetically drawn to the part.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:48 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:...If painting without a booth it will be very difficult. A thorough cleaning of the area and wetting down the floor will help. Wear a painter's suit and gloves, use a quality tack rag to wipe the surface off just before you spray your first coat.

Having the vehicle or part grounded can help reduce the dust being electromagnetically drawn to the part.

All good points, I spray in my Pig Barn which is anything but ideal. Along with 68's suggestions, I have learned:
a) After the solvent W&G, I use a water based W&G - why that helps with the static I do not know.
b) definitely use at least a painter's coat - I was very surprised at what a difference that makes.
c) I just do NOT spray anytime around dusk anymore due to the bugs
d) Keep a light touch on that tack rag
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Return to Body and Paint