Epoxy primer reduction

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:27 pm
I am pretty new to paint and spraying. I recently purchased a primer, 5 Star Xtreme 5424 2k epoxy primer (https://www.paintforcars.com/product/xt ... ld-primer/)

I live in Texas, so the temperature on average is in the high 90's. I am at least able to paint in my garage, out of the sun, but given that the primer is intended for use at ~77 degrees, I have since discovered that my expected pot life of 2-3 hours being reduced to 30 mins is to be expected due to the heat. Even the batch I mixed up started to harden pretty quickly and I had a terrible time of it. I ended up with a textured primer like bed liner all over my truck (dry spraying, I believe it's called?). Started sanding, but feel like this could be done better. So here's my question:

Let's say I decide to sand a bit, get a little more of an even surface to respray this primer...can I add acetone or something else to reduce the primer and increase my working time, as well as increase likelihood that this stuff will lay down like it ought to? Some way to keep the primer from curing too fast and counter the heat? Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 pm
So are you sure the manufacturer doesn't have the activator itself in slower speeds? That would be my first call, direct to their tech. people. Never assume any solvent as simple as acetone is a solution for a chemistry problem. If you have access to an infra-red point and shoot laser thermo reader (cheap at like a Harbor Freight) shoot your metal surface several times over 24 hours and determine "when" it is coolest to shoot. Try keeping your primer/hardener materials in your air conditioned house up till the time you need them (gun, too). Mix when needed into your cup and throw the gun in an open ice chest for a few minutes before starting the shoot. With lots of heat in a shop you can take like a small cattle watering pan/feeder and put large bags of ice in it and blow a floor standing fan over it to "help" chill the air and metal. Just don't blow it directly on the metal. Humidity levels can increase but I doubt that would stop the reactivity of a decent epoxy reaction.
You might try and move up in tip size also to get a more fluid/wetter coat.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint