Short Bus Newb Delfleet Essentials

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:26 pm
Hi,

I bought a short bus to convert to an RV. Right now it’s school bus yellow. I’m preparing the outside for paint. Right now I’m installing tool boxes in the skirt and cutting a couple hatches.

I started looking at paInt a while ago and immediately went to a PPG dealer who recommended singlemstage Delfleet Essentials.

I’m not looking for showroom quality, but still want an acceptable finish.
I’m renting a spray booth and I want to do this all in one six hour session. So far it’s just me. I’ve tried to get friends to help, but I’m on my own this time.

I called PPG tech support and got pointed in the right direction for the Essentials line

Epoxy Primer ESU481
Delfleet Essentials ESS
Hardener ESH200
Activator ESX-something. My notes fail me

I’m told that I can prime and paint in the same session. This has me a little worried though. What if I have imperfections in the primer?

Does this sound doable?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Danjo

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:56 pm
You should have no problems, you can spray the epoxy as a sealer then an hour or so spray your top coat. just follow the mixing ratios and recoat times in the PRODUCT INFO SHEET YOU should have got with the paint. if you have a problem with the sealer say a run you can usually wait a couple hours and sand it out or correct it. its probably not going to sand easy as its going to stay somewhat soft during the recoat time. SEE your info sheet for the recoat time, that's the time you have to spray the top coat before you need to sand it for adhesion. be sure you have adequate scaffolding to spray from. one of the biggest problems is getting your hose or clothes into the paint. wear a paint suit and you can tape it up to your body so it doesn't bag out and cause problems. are you going to spray the top? if so I would almost do it first then mask it off and do the rest of the unit. if you have never used any of these products or lack experience in spraying, I would strongly recommend you try them out on an old fender or door first to see what they do and how they spray. much better here than the day you start on your project. good luck!
Jay D.
Last edited by badsix on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:58 pm
how about a picture of this project?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:50 pm
0FB5E765-6374-4778-B3E2-492205123EC4.jpeg

Thanks for the tips. I’ll send a photo when it’s done.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm
BIG project! i'll buy you a beer if you DON'T get any runs off the rivets.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:56 am
badsix wrote:BIG project! i'll buy you a beer if you DON'T get any runs off the rivets.
Jay D.

You've been down this road before! :wink:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:26 am
:rotfl: YES I HAVE MANY TIMES.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:19 pm
Danjo wrote:
0FB5E765-6374-4778-B3E2-492205123EC4.jpeg

Thanks for the tips. I’ll send a photo when it’s done.

Hey Danjo!

Fancy meeting you here :)

I had looked at the same paint a while back. How soon are you going to paint? I am anxious to see how it plays.

I had really wanted to get paint on mine before it got too cold. Too late..... I had hoped that the primer that I sprayed on all the new metal would keep it from rusting. It didn't. I have surface rust showing through the primer. Looks like I will be sanding 200sq.ft. of it back to bare metal. Yay....

Return to Body and Paint