how many spray gun I need?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:31 am
NFT5 wrote:A touch up gun is a smaller gun which is used for small jobs.

Tip sizes vary from 0.8mm to 1.2mm and fans from 100mm to 180mm.

I use mine for painting small parts or narrow sections where the size and paint usage of a full size gun would just be a waste. Imagine painting a set of parking sensors that are only 25mm diameter with a gun that has a 300mm fan. A bit silly, apart from being wasteful, you'll agree. Wheels are another example where you want to be able to place the paint accurately on the spokes and not run the risk of excessive overlaps where runs could be the result. Painting tube is yet another example. Door jambs with a 1.2mm gun are much better and easier than with a big gun.

They're also used for SMART repairs, where only a small section (usually the size of an A4 sheet of paper) is actually painted. Again paint placement and blending control would be impossible with a big gun, but a smaller gun will do it easily.

They're also useful for things like misting metallic over black for a shadow chrome effect and for doing little spots that an airbrush could do, but would be stretched.

I have 4 dedicated touch up or mini guns:
- Star S2, 0.8mm - I love this little thing. Gets into tight spots and sprays almost like an airbrush but can open up to a fan around 100mm with a perfect tulip shape.
- ANI R150 (1.0 and 1.2mm) - Nice small guns with a very even spray pattern but a design fault in the seal on the fluid tip that is thinners sensitive and needs regular replacement. These are about to be replaced with the new Iwata AZ4.
- Devilbiss SLG mini (1.0mm HVLP) - The perfect gun to mist blending thinner with.

I also have a few midi guns that are bigger than those above, with tips from 1.3mm to 1.5mm and fans in the 150-200mm range, which I use for in between sized jobs. Those are all Star, S1000 and an old S710 that is the best primer gun I own, but too small for bigger jobs.

For the weekend warrior painting complete vehicles, I'd think that 3 or 4 guns would be enough.

A decent 1.8mm for primer. Devilbiss FLG5 would be a good choice, as would the Iwata AZ3 HTE.

A combined basecoat and clearcoat gun with a 1.3mm tip if you're meticulous about keeping it clean. Devilbiss often do deals on their ProLite with 2 aircaps and the T110 for clear with TE20 for base would be a good choice - like having 2 guns. Otherwise, and I prefer this option if the budget allows, separate basecoat and clearcoat guns. The Devilbiss FLG5 is also a good, cost effective choice although the 1.4mm tip could be a bit much for some.

A 1.2mm mini/midi gun for those smaller jobs or areas. The ANI R150 is very good but just not suited to daily use. The Devilbiss SRi ProLite is a fine gun but ridiculously priced. Iwata have a good range of mini/midi guns and, as I said above, I'm going with the AZ4 HTE-S in 1.2mm; simple design, well made with good performance and easy to clean.

my vehicle had some hail damage, I want to spray tail and one front bump about my Honda accord NH797M. my plan is buying guns for respraying, as my equipment. any idea recommend.

thank you very much for your point, it is very hopeful.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am
DSCN1060.JPG
NFT5 wrote:
PainterDave wrote:
NFT5 wrote:
PainterDave wrote:at least 24 or so

Nah, that's extravagant. I have 22 and only need one more. :rotfl:

slacker

I didn't count the old S770 suction feed or the Schutz gun. :happy:

you guys are making me feel bad I only have about 12. but that's not counting my vintage collection.
DSCN1060.JPG

Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:16 pm
Cougar_guy wrote:Three doesn't hurt.
One for primer
One for clear and base coat
One touch up gun....

Then you will need another one with a 1.7 tip for spraying flake, then you'll need three or four Iwata LPH-80s for spraying the candies, then you'll start drooling over the Sata 5500s... Just pay someone else to do it, definitely cheaper unless you really want to do this as a hobby.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:28 am
OFB you get ahold of my buddy yet ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:42 pm
PainterDave wrote:OFB you get ahold of my buddy yet ?

PD, have yet to hear from him, but don't worry I've been spending money left and right!

But I still need (want? no, need) one.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
Previous

Return to Body and Paint