Primer Gray as a Finish Color

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:40 pm
I have a 69 Scout that I am getting back on the road. I am hoping the baby blue paint will buff out to look like the pic below—but it wont be as nice. I have had to weld some holes from the previous owner in the engine bay that will require some minor filler. The original color of the Scout was bronze and the PO did not paint the engine bay—so the engine bay is bronze and green from the panels I have welded in.

Option 1 is to take a small panel to the local paint shop and have them match it. It will be close enough color wise and most of it will be hidden by the engine but I am concerned that it will be nice shiny new paint while the rest of the truck is to stay somewhat weathered.

Option 2 is a little radical in that I was thinking of a light gray or other neutral color (not black). Typically in the past, I have gone to my local shop and said I need X quartz (I only do small projects) of blue from a 2017 Mustang or some other car reference. Thoughts on a gray?

Open to other options, toyed with bedlining but changed my mind. I have never sprayed satin clear, would that be an idea over a matched blue in the engine bay?

Bottom pic is before I welded the patches in but gives an idea of the condition now.

BB SCout.png

scout3.jpeg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:10 pm
A lot depends on what you plan to do with the vehicle. Personally, I am not a fan of the satin or flat clear look. My thinking is that it will shine up over time when washing or people rubbing against it.

Leaving it in primer is not a good idea if you want longevity.
I just ordered a gallon of Dodge Destroyer Grey and it was less than $400.
The owner chose this color because he wanted a basic gray color.
2019 Dodge Destroyer Grey.jpg
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:23 pm
Scouts are tough as tractors. I had a 71 with a BelchFire Four that would climb a wall.

You're just wanting to spray the engine compartment, right? I'd use a single stage matched to the blue on it now. It's probably a factory color of something. If it turns out looking too 'new', just scuff it using a kitchen scuff pad and Ajax. That'll dull it without damaging the new paint.

If the Scout's nice enough, why not spray the original bronze color back on it? Looks like you're well into restoring it and Scouts keep going up in value; might be worth the extra work...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Thanks. Guys!

I like that Dodge color. Will keep that in mind.

The truck is light blue and the paint is in decent shape, hopefully will buff up shiny when I get to that point. Its a re-spray over the bronze. In the second picture you can see the bronze engine bay and the light blue surrounding.

At some point (MAYBE) i might re-paint the truck -- but I think for a weekend cruiser it will be fine for a LONG TIME.

Thanks again. I think I will look into the blue on the engine bay.

Return to Body and Paint