Summit racing surfacer issue

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:18 am
The only other surfacer I’ve used is finish 1 surfacer and it sprayed and laid out fine. I tried summits surfacer mixed 4:1 per tech sheet and used the same finex fx3000 with 1.8 tip that I used before but this time it’s seemed to come out dry and a little textured. After sitting for a day the surface smoothed out pretty good but I’m still not sure why it sprayed different.

I had 27-30 psi at gun. I know there’s a reducer available but I’m just wondering if there’s something I’m missing. I thought a 1.8 was plenty big enough so I’m assuming it’s not the issue.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:36 am
different products all have there own characteristics, some dry or flash fast than others. about all you can do is experiment on your own. if it dry's to fast ( go's on textured ) you may need to go to a slower reducer and watch your temperatures.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:41 am
Well what I mean is it sprayed out of the gun dry

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:49 pm
Same problem, there are other things that could cause your problem but reducer temp would be one of the first. I would also say maybe tip size possibly you might try and over reduce it just a little and see what happens.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint