Body shop poor respray - Fixable?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:30 pm
Hi guys,

I have a 2016 Audi Allroad that I purchased last year. Got it for a good price, but was told the front fender got vandalized and it was resprayed. However a few months ago I spotted some poor respraying.

Looks like the nozzle was not clean and there are blotches in the clearcoat. I never spotted this until today because its down low on the passenger fender.

Looking for some more expert advice here. I'd like to get it fixed and see if I can do it myself.

Is this a failure in the clearcoat phase and could be wetsanded out and re-clearcoated?

I have some experience respraying bumpers before, but have no experience with metallic paints (Monsoon Gray Metallic on this car).

Thoughts?

Photo's:

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:22 am
Gently wet sand with 1500, then 2000, buff and move on to more enjoyable things in life.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:47 pm
NFT5 wrote:Gently wet sand with 1500, then 2000, buff and move on to more enjoyable things in life.

I’ll try and get some better photos posted as I don’t think it shows the blotches very well, some natural light rather than the LED may help...but you don’t believe I’ll need to re-clear coat the spot?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:12 pm
Its really hard to tell from a picture, but I would do a Chris suggested. that would be the easiest and less costly approach. if it doesn't cure the problem you can go to step two, possibly a color and clear respray that could get complicated and costly.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 pm
NFT5 wrote:Gently wet sand with 1500, then 2000, buff and move on to more enjoyable things in life.

use a block backer when doing this.
for the sanding part,that is.

Return to Body and Paint