Degreaser before paint / Purple Power

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:30 am
I am painting the interior of my Chevy Express with Upol Raptor. I may use KBS Rust Seal prior to Upol Raptor. I still am waffling about that. But that is another post. Whatever I do, I need to clean the surface with a degreaser. I did buy some Purple Power before I knew any better. Will this be good enough? Or is there another degreaser I should use? KBS coatings has their degreaser, KBS Klean. Should I use that?

Keightley

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:10 am
If you have the recommended product, always use it. You know that it's been tested and will be ok. I'm reluctant to use any old cleaner. Many of them leave residues which will show up later.

I always finish with a final spray and wipe of 50:50 water:methylated spirits. Removes any last residues and water based silicones.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:46 am
It's okay to use a water based cleaner for initial cleaning but I would definitely follow up with a solvent based automotive Wax and Grease remover.

Not a big fan of rust converter products as they tend to cause issues with paint adhesion and even cracking later on. Remove the rust, clean, epoxy primer and then Raptor.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:28 am
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yeah, do that....vote number 2 on not hot on the rust converter especially with that Upol Raptor over top. Get rid of rust, epoxy, then move on.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:56 pm
For the record, RustSeal is not a rust converter. It is a rust preventive sealing like POR 15 whereas RustBlast is a rust converter. I do not have rust. But in speaking to a KBS coatings representative, RustBlast is self etching primer as well. My conundrum is using RustSeal or Upol Raptor is that I don’t know which is better if I just use one. And if I use both with RuatSeal first then Upo Raptor, am I just throwing money away because it is a bit of an overkill.

As for Purple Power, I did get it at AutoZone. Purple Power is an Industrial Strength Cleaner/Degreaser that is used on a wide variety of surfaces in auto, farm, marine, home and industrial applications. The concentrated formula penetrates quickly and then creates a barrier between the stain and the surface being cleaned. I just cannot find any reviews of people using it as a degreaser prior to painting an vehicle. So that is why I came here to ask the question.

Keightley

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:56 pm
The reason we are pro-epoxy is that it adheres great, prevents rust and remains somewhat flexible thereby preventing cracking from changes in temperature.

I sprayed UPOL Raptor over epoxy on a '67 Jeep that is next to the ocean in California. Even in that salty environment for 5 years the owner tells me it still looks fantastic.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint