When do you feel safe covering car with plastic?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:37 am
Doing a restoration and I just finished painting BC/CC fenders, hood, doors etc. After painting, all have sat and dried in garage a week or so uncovered and safe. I now have moved painted parts back to my garage while I paint body and bed (at other painting garage) and was wanting to keep protected from dust etc. I have read about people damaging paint by covering with a plastic drop cloth, but I'm assuming they covered their paint just a few days after painting and they had issues with the plastic.

When would you guys feel safe covering fresh paint with plastic sheets. I not completely sealing them up, they are just on garage floor and just one thin sheet laid over the top for dust and general paranoia of scratches . Am I safe? Or go get that stuff off there until 90 days or something....Thanks.

P.S. PPG Deltron color and Advantage 675 clear.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:18 am
usually a week for me
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 am
The danger will be in trapping solvents that have yet to escape. This will make your clear coat appear to have a haze to it in certain areas.
This will depend on how many coats, whether you gave adequate time for flashing, temperature, etc.
I'd try to get them outside into the sunshine whenever possible and unless they have been sitting over a week, I would only cover them while working in the nearby area.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:30 am
Yeah, agree with all of the above....another tip is to make more of a "tent" over items so the plastic does not touch them directly. I've literally made a simple frame work from left over 2 by 2s and threw a few air staples here and there.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:01 pm
Thanks all. I counted last night and its been 17 days. And first paint job, so everything was by the book on flash and coats etc. So I just have been covering while I'm in garage and uncovering when finished. Like the tent idea... I'm painting cab next two days so I will be able to assemble and get that stuff off the floor soon any way. Thanks.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 pm
personally I wouldn't use plastic on any paint job. you may be alright if inside and for a short time. BUT I've seen to many paint jobs old and new ruined by being covered with plastic tarps or covers. it might be a location thing its quite humid here. I would much rather use an old bed sheet pick them up at your local good will store.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:08 pm
As said above.
Use some kind of cloth product so it can breathe,
plastic is asking for trouble, even after as long as you have since painted.
I use painters drop cloths like the ones found at the big box stores,
they come in various sizes and are really tough.
I also use old king size bed sheets.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Body and Paint