Finished only to see my prep was terrible

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:43 pm
8874A6D9-266A-4757-A2D3-03334629CD01.jpeg

A09FD111-4B64-458A-8939-D29430D72A06.jpeg
99DCD870-3D7A-4B39-8614-C08F9961B840.jpeg

D55B35E7-13E2-4BEB-B02F-53E3A9E8876D.jpeg

Hi. My first attempt to spray 2k reflex silver base 3 coats then 3 of 2k clear. I was pleased until I could see my small repairs . The clear outline slightly crater looking. Not enough filler is what it looks like. My eyes and fingers had me thinking my w&d sanding over the filler had it smooth in the prep stage. Although in the finish stage I can’t feel it by running my fingers over it, I can easily see it..
Can anyone suggest how I could fix it. Should I sand back to the primer or to the filler, refill, sand,prime,colour and clear, trying to blend for the first time for me . There’s also a few tiny holes,. I waited 10 mins between coats and 2 hrs before adding the clear, waited 24 hrs then cut and buffed. It all takes me ages, As a first ever attempt Im really enjoying the whole process.
Any help or the pointing out of my many errors is much appreciated
Attachments
2918423C-408A-4516-A04F-A3A9AC736814.jpeg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:37 pm
Everyone had a first, which, usually, was also the second...

Complex convex curves are difficult. You need to fill and then sand in from the outside in so you don't flatten the middle. Multiple changes of sanding direction needed. I use a hard block to start and then change to a more flexible block once the basic shape is there.

Some work needed on that body line around the wheel arch, too. Work one face at a time, so get the vertical bit flat and then mark, in pencil, where the line should be, Sand down to the line, using guide coat to keep it obvious and visible.

Pinholes. A thin skim of a fine filler as a final step to get the pinholes, having used guide coat to identify them first.

Make sure that your surface and surrounding area is surgically clean before you start to paint. I wash every car before it goes into the booth and make sure that the floor and walls are clean, hosed out regularly, left wet if painting a dark colour or one that needs to be as dust free as possible.

Primer. use the correct shade and blend the edges out a bit more so you don't have such a sharp transition. I generally try to blend over about 8", or use a smaller gun if you don't have that much space. Same thing with base coat although blend should be over a bigger area, if possible. Make sure you blend both horizontally and vertically.
Chris

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:11 am
NFT5 wrote:Everyone had a first, which, usually, was also the second...

Complex convex curves are difficult. You need to fill and then sand in from the outside in so you don't flatten the middle. Multiple changes of sanding direction needed. I use a hard block to start and then change to a more flexible block once the basic shape is there.

Some work needed on that body line around the wheel arch, too. Work one face at a time, so get the vertical bit flat and then mark, in pencil, where the line should be, Sand down to the line, using guide coat to keep it obvious and visible.

Pinholes. A thin skim of a fine filler as a final step to get the pinholes, having used guide coat to identify them first.

Make sure that your surface and surrounding area is surgically clean before you start to paint. I wash every car before it goes into the booth and make sure that the floor and walls are clean, hosed out regularly, left wet if painting a dark colour or one that needs to be as dust free as possible.

Primer. use the correct shade and blend the edges out a bit more so you don't have such a sharp transition. I generally try to blend over about 8", or use a smaller gun if you don't have that much space. Same thing with base coat although blend should be over a bigger area, if possible. Make sure you blend both horizontally and vertically.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
I’m seeing there’s blending clear coat I can buy or add more thinners then spray with a sweep in and out. I don’t have a booth it’s makeshift garage and an extractor. I now fully appreciate car paint, I can’t walk past a car without looking at the finish,read and watched as much as I could

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 am
In the future, use Guide Coat during your final prepping stages. It would have shown you all those problem areas before you applied your paint.

As stated above, you are definitely not the first to have this happen.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 pm
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Once I got started I either missed or rushed everything
I did the whole repaint colour & clear, this time way more relaxed, hoping to cut & buff tomorrow
Show coat was even bought but in my haste to start painting,I forgot. Lesson well learnt
Thanks again

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:53 am
Hi
I sanded the areas that we’re lacking colour and a run. Resprayed colour the whole van,3 coats of clear again
I burnt through during the cutting in 2 places, I still seem to be to conservative with the paint so for me I will add an extra coat on colour and clear
Would I be able to add clear with a small brush then cut it
Any suggestions and criticism welcome. Thanks for the replies

The burn through is bottom left of the top panel and in the reflection of the door way behind you can see the little clear square, just bare colour

490F150D-340A-4557-A6B1-4C9442C4BC0F.jpeg

D580F66B-810E-4452-A6A6-F846596D9967.jpeg

77C80F23-805E-4C48-8D09-DA54F0D5793D.jpeg

[attachment=2]FBC3FF66-B64F-4195-86AB-C97C6BFC2D4E.jpeg[/attachmen
Attachments
B0FB6F23-A7E6-49EE-8D4C-E13D0FE38098.jpeg
FBC3FF66-B64F-4195-86AB-C97C6BFC2D4E.jpeg

Return to Body and Paint