Low price paint companies

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:32 am
I want to try the Tamco product line of primers and clears, but am looking for a relatively inexpensive base coat in something like a Chevrolet victory red. Has anybody tried Wholesale Auto Paints out of Missouri? I would like to find something inexpensive, but not cheap. I want good quality, but I don’t want to get killed on price. I just can’t see getting hosed buying PPG, Axalta, etc.

Thoughts?

John

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 am
Reds are usually more expensive.

This is Tamco Glamour Clear over a Dark Red that cost less than $400 a gallon.
IMGP0009.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

Belgium
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:30 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Reds are usually more expensive.

This is Tamco Glamour Clear over a Dark Red that cost less than $400 a gallon.
IMGP0009.JPG

Nice shade of red!

Do you have a paint ref for it or is this a custom mix?

Thanks,

JF

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:41 pm
jkesselr wrote:I want to try the Tamco product line of primers and clears, but am looking for a relatively inexpensive base coat in something like a Chevrolet victory red.

Why not try their colors also. Great stuff. They OEM or custom colors
https://www.tamcopaint.com/custom-colors/c365

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:13 am
Without detracting from Tamco, and other small companies that produce quality products and market them at sensible prices, most of the major paint companies do produce an "economy" line, sometimes a few different choices.

For example, I use Axalta and, specifically the Cromax Centari line. With this I can, by simply changing binders, mix up 6000 basecoat (premium product, equivalent to or better than Standox), or I can mix the 610 basecoat which is maybe 1/3 the price (but sometimes doesn't cover all that well in just two coats). I also have the option of mixing the 600 line formulae in the 610 binder (which gives me excellent coverage at only a slight cost disadvantage). There are other options, too, such as the Duxone or Nason ranges which don't always have the same colour support, but are still quality products at different price points according to their target market.

With clears and primers a similar thing happens. The big companies like Axalta and PPG buy out smaller operations, sometimes to remove them from the market but other times to get access to specific products. They then rebrand or repackage those products and market them in product lines that maybe were lacking a specific quality product. Duxone was a good example. Dupont (at that time) bought a smaller company and then repackaged the clear as Duxone. It was a really good clear, maybe too good, because ultimately the Europeans had it replaced with Duxone Blue, which, despite being HS, is junk. However, I have no doubt that that lovely Duxone Green clear will reappear somewhere else.

The trick is to get to know a paint company rep and find out which ones are the best quality/value.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:46 am
What I am getting at is that there are several levels of paint. The company I mentioned in my first post sells victory red in a kit (gallon of base and 2 quarts of reducer) for $125. That seems stupid cheap, like too good to be true cheap. It is Autobahn brand, which I guess is the company that makes the AllKandys Wet Wet clear that a lot of folks like. I imagine Tamco is going to be in like the $300-$400 range for something similar, no?

I know nobody is supposed to speak the name, but is the not-to-be-named company any cheaper than Tamco on base? How does it’s quality compare to Tamco? Better, worse, or pretty close?

I want it to paint a street/trail Jeep. I am not going to show it, but not beat the **** out of it either. Think roughly factory quality paint is what I am after.

What do you guys think my best bet is?

Return to Body and Paint