Why is my new clear coat peeling off?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:51 am
countach711 wrote: Hi Bert,... Anyway, I checked out your Facebook page, you're a sic painter!...

Understatement! PD and the others, 68, Darrel, Badsix, NFT5 (and I am sure I am skipping others) on this site have helped me sooooooo much it is unbelievable.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:11 pm
[quote="
When I have problems it is almost always my fault for getting in a rush and putting on too much material. Did it again today with some waterborne PPG, my fault, not the material.[/quote]

Thanks, you're the second person (at least) to tell me I should have let the base coats dry so I think that must be why. I mistakenly remembered it was like clear coat where you basically just keep going. Fudge!

It turns out the clear had delaminated on the whole car. Kind of amazed I got it all sanded before I found that one area peeling away. I got it all scrapped off with a razor blade and re-sanded yesterday. The base adhered well to the primer so I didn't have to remove all of it.

Thanks for letting me know your experience with HOK in Tamco, I feel safer about proceeding with what I have now.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:47 pm
I don't know if this helps but..... we all forget some stuff, do stupid crap, get in a rush, ASSUME things.... it just happens..... :knockout: When I take sawzalls to kit cars I measure, measure, and measure and still get it wrong now and then.... :knockout:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 am
DarrelK wrote:I don't know if this helps but..... we all forget some stuff, do stupid crap, get in a rush, ASSUME things.... it just happens..... :knockout: When I take sawzalls to kit cars I measure, measure, and measure and still get it wrong now and then.... :knockout:

Thanks Darrel, I didn't beat myself up too bad, stuff happens! I do that measure trick when I grind concrete counters to fit, or not fit! Another kit builder, Suuweet! I've been building a Countach the last xxx years. Are you a pro builder, or what type of stuff do you do?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:18 am
Ha, Ha, nope not a pro....more like a crazy super hobbyist. My father and I were one of the original "beta tester" (they didn't call them that back in the day, more like "guinea pig") people for the then new, Bradley GT. You got 20% off the package deal and got a 1-800 free build number you could call. They gave you a build manual that looked like a 3 year old had done cave paintings. They collected our inputs and ideas through the build and used that to publish a fancy easy to understand real build manual. Sooo....I was hooked. So like 47 years of building new and restoring old kit cars. I've done Sterlings, Sebrings, Superstep Side trucks, Fieros, and many, many, other crazy projects.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 pm
how about some pictures. i'd give my nuts for an old Cheetah kit! reasonably priced.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:57 pm
A Cheeta....I can't remember the last time I saw one. Might have been the late 1990s at Kit Cars at Carlisle. I'll see what pic.s I've still got and throw them over in the projects section over the next few months. I'm slowly moving stuff around since my main computer decided to take a crap a few weeks ago.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint