Sanding primer surfacer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:42 pm
I'm blocking down my primer surfacer wet with p400
I have cut though little small spots down to the original substrate. Not bare metal.

Do I need to re-prime these small spots or will the sealer take care of it.
?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:46 pm
What is the original substrate? Filler, epoxy primer, OEM paint or primer, or ...?
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:54 pm
It is OEM enamel

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 pm
To answer your original question, yes a sealer coat will cover the sand-throughs
to OEM paint.

But I have to ask, why would you not strip the enamel off at the beginning? I assume
you're painting a 50+ year old Cougar that still had the original acrylic enamel
finish on it...?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:32 pm
The car was resprayed back in the early 80's. Looked like a single stage enamel and they changed to a different shade of red. It's was taped off,overspay everywhere and it was chipped and failing. When I sanded it down the respray pretty much flaked off and the OEM enamel was still in good shape. Very few spots went to metal. Very little bodywork was done and I mean VERY little. The car is pretty straight and rust free. I'm going to base coat it back the original color. They didn't spray door jams and underneath the hood and deck lid. Also, they didn't use primer. Just shot a single stage enamel on top of a single stage enamel.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:04 pm
Cougar_guy wrote:............Just shot a single stage enamel on top of a single stage enamel.

Got it. I've done the very same thing many times, to freshen up a flip. They looked pretty good too. Since you sanded down to factory paint and are using a sealer, I don't think you'll have any issues at all.

Return to Body and Paint